Today, we're making Green Goddess Chicken Salad!
Green Goddess Chicken Salad
This recipe could not be easier to whip up thanks to a little help from a grocery store favorite item. But, it's also bursting at the seams with flavor thanks to all the fresh herbs we're going to throw in here. So, let's get to it!
Let's start with the green goddess mayo. We need some fresh parsley, the green part of a green onion, some fresh basil, a little lemon juice, and a splash of worcestershire sauce. We're going to toss everything into a small food processor or blender, let it break down a little bit, then add in some mayonnaise to the party. We'll give everything another blitz in the food processor until the mayo and herbs become one, and that's the base of our chicken salad.
To our herby dressing, we're going to add one of my favorite grocery store shortcuts...rotisserie chicken! I could go on all day about why store bought rotisserie chickens are amazing, but they kind of speak for themselves. They're so inexpensive. They're always perfectly juicy and delicious. They can stretch pretty far to feed a crowd. And, they come piping hot so they can go straight from the container to the dinner table. You can't beat that!
If you can plan your timing to make this happen, I highly recommend mixing this chicken salad while the chicken is still warm. Mixing the diced chicken with the herb mayonnaise while it's warm really helps the flavors infuse into the chicken. If you can't, you'll still have a delicious salad. But if you can, definitely do it.
I used a mix of light and dark meat chicken for this salad, but you can absolutely use what you like. The last item we need is a little bit of diced celery, and we're ready to mix! Toss everything together until the chicken is totally coated in the herb dressing, toss the chicken salad into the fridge for at least an hour to give the flavors a chance to marry, and then it'll be time to eat!
This chicken salad is like summer on a sandwich. It's light and fresh. It's herbaceous and full of flavor. It's a bright beautiful color. But, it's also super comforting just like the chicken salad sammies we all know and love.
SO MUCH YUMMINESS!
Ok, everyone! I hope you all enjoy this one as much as I do. If you make it, let me know what you think!
- 4 servings
- Prep time: 1 Hours Cook time: 5 Minutes Total time: 1 hr 5 min
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 green onion, green parts only (about 2 tbsp), chopped
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- ½ tsp worcestershire sauce
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- pepper, to taste
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, diced
- croissants, crackers, or rolls, for serving
- Make the Green Goddess Mayo: In a food processor, add parsley, green onion, basil, worcestershire, lemon juice, and pepper. Process for a few seconds until broken down. Add mayonnaise. Process until combined and smooth.
- Finish the Chicken Salad: Add chicken and celery to a mixing bowl with the green goddess mayonnaise. Stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve on croissants, rolls, or with crackers. Enjoy!
- *If you're able, make this chicken salad while the rotisserie chicken is still warm. Mixing the dressing into the chicken while it's warm really helps it absorb all of those delicious flavors.
- *I used a mix of light and dark meat for this chicken salad. Use whatever you like!