When it's sooo cold and windy outside all I feel like is a bowl of rich soup and a cheesy toasty sandwich for lunch or dinner. I welcome comfort food on a cold night. Don’t you? When I make this delicious broccoli cheddar soup, I make a point of roasting the broccoli because it adds to the richness of the flavours. This is a very easy recipe and the soup is super creamy. It will keep for at least a week in a tightly sealed jar. I garnished the soup with some creme fraiche, chopped chives and some additional shredded cheddar.
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
- 2 litres
- Prep time: 15 Minutes Cook time: 35 Minutes Total time: 50 min
- 5 heads broccoli, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Pinch nutmeg salt and pepper
- 3 cups grated cheese (mild Cheddar, sharp Cheddar, Jack, etc.), plus more for garnish, optiona
- 1 cup veggie broth, optional
- Chives, chopped for garnish
- Creme fraiche for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F
- Put all of the broccoli florets on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until the florets begin to crisp and turn slightly brown.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on top. Stir to combine and cook until the flour is absorbed and smells lightly toasted, 1 minute or so. Add the milk and half-and-half. Add the nutmeg, then the broccoli, a small dash of salt and plenty of black pepper. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese and allow to melt.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Use an immersion blender or transfer to a blender in two batches and puree completely. (If you puree in a blender, return the soup to the pot to heat back up. Add in some vegetarian broth if needed for thinning.) Garnish with grated cheese, chopped chives and creme fraiche.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!