Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Whenever I make this double chocolate banana bread I can’t help but think that somehow I have won the day and I’ll get to snack on the most decadent tasting bread ever yet most of the ingredients could also come together to make a tasty health bowl of oatmeal. So yes, when I go back for my second or third slice I do tell myself it’s okay, it’s like I’m eating oatmeal. I first made a variation of this recipe a couple years ago but made a few tweaks and I think it’s perfect now. Lately I've been loving adding plain greek yogurt to my recipes. I feel like all the breads I have made with it come out super moist and delicious. Secondly, I have been super into cutting some of the oil in the recipe with unsweetened applesauce. Not only does the applesauce help keep down some of the oil, it also brings another source of natural sweetness which helps keep the processed sugar low, which is always a plus, even if it is coconut sugar. This recipe also comes together in a pinch and requires your usual ingredients, nothing special you’ll need to purchase. I like to use the Enjoy Life chocolate chunks in my breads but feel free to use any chips that you’d like, mini chips are a great option. I also think the adding in some peanut butter chips to this recipe would be amazing!
- 10 Servings
- Prep time: 15 Minutes|Cook time: 45 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line your loaf pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash your spotty ripe banana and then add in wet ingredients until well combined: egg, Greek yogurt, vanilla, melted coconut oil, and apple sauce. Once well combined, add in coconut sugar and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients together until well combined: oat flour, almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in dry ingredients to the wet ingredient bowl. Mix until well combined and there are no clumps of flour left. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into your prepared loaf pan. I like to top my loaf with additional chocolate chips at this stage.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, just until your toothpick comes out clean. You may need to poke it with the toothpick in a few different spots if you run into any chocolate chips while checking if it is done.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing! Can be stored in a air-tight container for 4-5 days, I recommend storing it in the refrigerator.