Best Ever Crinkle Top Blondies
These Crinkle Top Blondies are rich, sweet, and chewy. They are the perfect treat for birthday parties, bake sales, and just because! They are also incredibly easy and quick to make – which means they get baked on repeat in my house!
If you’ve never tried a blondie, we need to change that ASAP! Blondies are a lot like brownies except made without cocoa powder. Instead, blondies have a deep caramel flavor from the brown sugar. They’re a lot like a cookie, but denser, gooier, and all around better in my opinion. Like a cookie, the mix-in options are infinite! I made these with chocolate chips, but butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, M&M’s, or even rainbow sprinkles for a birthday variation can be used!
how to master the crinkle top – whip the egg whites
Why are these blondies in particular the best ever you ask? Well that is because of the paper-thin, ultra crispy crinkle top layer. You can achieve this by whipping the egg whites before folding them in with the rest of the mixture. Whipping the eggs will add an almost meringue-like texture to the tops of the blondies. This, combined with the gooey middle makes this not only the best blondie recipe, but the ultimate dessert.
tips for baking
- Feel free to use dark or light brown sugar for this recipe. I used dark which is a touch sweeter, but both will work perfectly.
- This recipe is enough to fill a 9×9 inch pan. If you want more, you can double the recipe and bake them in a 9×13 inch pan, or use an additional 9×9 inch pan.
- These are very freezer friendly! Don’t feel like eating them all at once? no problem! pop the blondies in a large plastic bag or Tupperware container and keep in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Because we are using a relatively small 9×9 inch pan, I would not add more than 1 cup of mix-ins such as chocolate chips. I used ½ cup and found the ratio blondie to chocolate to be great. But if you’re a chocolate lover, you have room to add in another half cup.
Best Ever Crinkle Top Blondies
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ Cups Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs, whites and yolks separated
- ½ Cup (1 Stick) Butter, melted
- ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Separate your egg whites from egg yolks*! In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla extract until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites on medium high until they are light and fluffy with stiff peaks. Roughly 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix until completely incorporated. Then fold in the fluffy egg whites until well combined. Add in whatever mix ins you will be including. I added ½ Cup of chocolate chips. Fold in until combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Line a 9×9 inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray with non stick spray. Pour in the blondie batter. Due to the whipped egg whites, the batter will be thick. Take care in spreading the batter out with a off-set spatula, or silicone spatula. Bake for 18-21 minutes until just golden brown and not jiggly in the center.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes in the pan then 5 minutes on a cooling rack before you attempt to cut into squares. Serve and Enjoy!
- Feel free to substitute the chocolate chips with any of your favorite mix ins. Butterscotch chips, M&M’s, and rainbow sprinkles are all good choices!
- The blondies can freeze for 1 month in a sealed bag or container.