These are 100% from scratch and they’re nothing like the brownies I used to know as a kid. These are made from cocoa powder, with specks of melting chocolate & walnuts, and just the smallest hint of coffee to enrich the chocolate. I also added an easy dark chocolate ganache, (which honestly was to satisfy the childhood memory of those cosmic brownies that always had a layer of chocolate on top that child-me was a huge fan of). So here they are: childhood cocoa brownies adjusted for an adult’s refined taste.
--> Feel free to adjust this recipe for your own tastes. Take out the walnuts if you prefer or don't add the ganache topping if you prefer a simple classic version!
Thick and rich: the perfect brownies.
Walnuts optional- but recommended!
Chocolate Ganache elevates these brownies to another level- and makes it so you get perfect clean cuts for each slice!
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
For Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 5 tbsp chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt butter in microwave for 45 seconds. Pour into mixing bowl with paddle attachment. Add both sugars and beat for 1 minute.
- Add cocoa, espresso powder, baking powder, salt and vanilla into mixing bowl. Mix for another 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually add in flour and eggs, beating until well combined.
- Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife can pierce the middle and come out pretty cleanly (although there may be streaks from chocolate chips).
- Remove from oven and let cool on countertop while you prepare ganache.
For Chocolate Ganache:
- In a double boiler set up, allow water to come to a light boil. Then add butter, milk, and chocolate chips to bowl on top. Stir to melt and combine ingredients. Be careful to not allow water to boil over and into the mixture as it will seize the chocolate ganache.
- Once the ingredients have melted together, carefully take off the bowl from the double boiler. Scrape sides and pour mixture evenly on top of brownies. Smooth with spatula.
- Refrigerate for 1 hr or until cooled completely. Enjoy with a scoop of ice cream or a cold glass of milk!