Baked Zucchini Fries
Enjoy a bowl of amazingly crisp-tender and healthy baked zucchini fries!
The zucchini season is officially here. That means you can prepare several tasty dishes with this veggie and enjoy them with your family. I have also tried preparing many zucchini dishes, but the baked zucchini fries have to be my ultimate favorite.
Most zucchini fries’ recipes have breadcrumbs, which makes them crisp and crunchy outside. But you can eliminate this extra carb by replacing the breadcrumb with parmesan cheese. Adding this cheese makes the entire dish gluten and carb-free.
If you want, you can also use gluten-free breadcrumbs or almond flour to add extra crunch to the baked zucchini fries.
You can use the baked zucchini fries either as a side dish or as a part of the main ingredient. Even if you are a picky eater who does not like eating zucchini, this baked zucchini fries recipe will make you fall in love with the veggie.
When you prepare the baked zucchini fries by following my recipe, they taste restaurant-style. Prepare this dish my way, so choosing to eat healthy does not feel like a sacrifice.
Healthy and Tasty Baked Zucchini Fries
I have had many plans for zucchini this year, but I’ve been hooked ever since I tried baked zucchini fries. I do not want to try zucchini any other way because of the crispy and cheesy flavor of this dish. This recipe proves that a single veggie can be legitimately delicious on its own.
Many people like adding different ingredients to their baked zucchini fries, but I like keeping them simple. I don’t like complicating the taste of my dish with extra items. I believe the biggest qualifier of a delicious baked fry is its crispiness. That’s why my baked zucchini fries are super crispy and delicious.
Scroll down to check out the baked zucchini fries recipe.
Steps to Make Yummy Baked Zucchini Fries
Below are the steps that you follow to replicate the recipe.
To start the preparation of baked zucchini fries, you need to take a big zucchini and wash it properly. After washing, use a paper towel to remove the water. Use a knife to dice the zucchini into a fries shape. Put the pieces into a bowl and keep them aside.
If the zucchini slices are too watery, sprinkle salt on the pieces. Then take a towel to remove the excess water. This way, the zucchini slices become fit for making fries.
After slicing the zucchini, you must mix spices to make the fries flavorful. Take a bowl and add breadcrumbs to it. In addition, you need to add parmesan cheese, dried oregano, onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix everything together and keep the bowl aside.
Take another bowl and lightly whisk an egg. Keep it aside.
Finally, you must heat the oven to 350 F. Then, take the zucchini slices, dip them in the whisked egg, and then coat the slices with the breadcrumb mixture.
Put the zucchini slices on a lined piece of baking paper. Drizzle some olive oil and let the zucchini slices bake in the oven for about 20 – 25 minutes. Serve the hot baked zucchini fries with a nice dip.
- When preparing baked zucchini fries, use dry zucchini as the fries can turn out to be soggy. Pat dry the sliced zucchini sticks using a paper towel before placing them in a whisked egg.
- It’s important that you must keep your hands in separate workstations. That means you must use one hand for dipping the zucchini in the egg and another hand for coating the zucchini with the breadcrumb. If you use the same hand for both the steps, the baked zucchini fries might taste crumpy.
- If you want both sides of the zucchini fries to get baked properly, try flipping the slices halfway through the baking process.
- Once you have baked the zucchini fries, you must eat them immediately. If you do not eat the fries immediately, they will turn soggy and not taste the same.
- Place the zucchini slices evenly on the sheet, so each piece has enough room to breathe. This way, the fries will be perfectly baked.
How to Store Zucchini Fries?
If you want to store zucchini fries, keep them in an airtight container. The fries can stay in good condition for up to two days.
Before eating the stored baked zucchini fries, you can reheat them in a preheated oven. Put the fries on a baking paper coated with non-stick spray. Reheating the fries in the microwave can make them mushy.
What to serve with baked zucchini fries?
You can serve dips, burgers, chicken, or any other appetizer along with your baked zucchini fries.
Are baked zucchini fries healthier than French fries?
Baked zucchini fries are surely healthier than French fries because zucchini has low carbs and high fibers. They taste as good and luxurious as French fries.
Baked Zucchini Fries
- 1 zucchini, diced into a fries shape
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 eggs, whisked
- Olive oil
- First, in a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste, dried oregano, and onion powder.
- Then each piece of zucchini dip it in the whisked egg yolk and then coated with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Arrange the zucchini pieces on a lined piece of baking paper on a baking tray and drizzle some olive oil.
- Bake in an already heated oven at 350 F for about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Sounds really good. Do your avoid using the seeded center of the zucchini?
The recipe started out by saying the breadcrumbs could be replaced by parmesan cheese for a low carb option, got my hopes up, then used breadcrumbs.