Red Lentil Burgers
Easy red lentil burgers that are deliciously seasoned and divine! You can pair them with salad or put them between burger buns…there are many ways to enjoy these tasty and vegetarian lentil cakes.
I seriously LOVE lentils! Lentils are one of those ingredients that I always have in my pantry and rely on almost every week. They can be stored for a long period of time and are extremely versatile.
I like to try out different recipes using lentils as the main ingredient. So recently I decided to make those pan-fried lentil burgers, and they turned out so tasty! I put them between burger buns and served them with a fresh garlic sauce....yum.
Red Lentil Burgers
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 0,5 tsp coriander powder
- 500 ml vegetable broth
- 125 ml water
- 250 gr dried red lentils
- 1 carrot (about 170 gr), grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 gr fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 125 gr panko
- 1 egg, beaten
For lentil burgers served on burger buns
- Vegetables of choice
- Any sauce of liking
- 8 burger buns
- Saute onion and garlic until golden and tender.
- Add cumin powder and coriander powder, cook for about 10 seconds.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, lentils, carrot and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium/low and allow to simmer until lentils are tender and all the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes*. Stir occasionally.
- Remove lentil mixture from heat, add fresh herbs and mix till combined. Let the mixture cool down for about 10 min.
- Then, add panko, beaten egg and stir until combined.
- Divide the lentil mixture to form 8 patties (each patty is about 3,5 full tablespoons).**
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat, and cook the patties on each side till golden/brown.
- Optional: Serve them in between burger buns with fresh vegetables and any sauce of liking.
- *Cooking time of the lentils depend on the lentils you use.
- **You can make smaller patties if preferred.