These were so fluffy and satisfying, and not greasy at all compared to some fritters! I adapted the recipe from a few others I found online, but tried to keep them healthy, simple and less oily. They are such a satisfying way to start the day, and keep me full for hours. Make sure to properly get the water out of the courgettes to start with or they wont hold together well. I like to serve mine either with a quick yoghurt-mango dip, or they go great with an extra poached egg on top, avocado slices, some halloumi or a simple side salad. Basically – get creative!
Served with a simple side salad!
Mango-Yoghurt dip pairs amazingly.
Not at all greasy, and very satisfying!
- 150 – 200g courgette (about 1 medium)
- 1 egg
- 3 TBSP Plain or Buckwheat Flour
- 1 TBSP Grated Mature Cheddar
- 1/2 TSP Baking Powder
- 1 TSP Ground Cumin
- 1 TSP Ground Coriander
- 1 Spring Onion
- 1/2 TBSP Chopped Coriander
- Salt and Pepper
- Coarsely grate the courgettes then place in a bowl, sprinkle in some salt, mix together, and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Drain the courgette with muslin cloth to squeeze as much of the liquid out as possible. Then add the courgette to a bowl with 1 egg, the flour, baking powder, ground cumin and coriander and mix together well.
- Next add the cheese, finely sliced spring onion and coriander and mix. Season to taste.
- Heat a non-stick pan with a small amount of oil (a really good non-stick pan is so key to these turning out well – the less good the non-stick, the more oil you will need).
- Form rough patties with your hands – it should make about 4 depending on the thickness you want – and add them to the pan. Let them cook for 3 minutes of a medium heat, and when they seem ready, flip them over and cook on the other side.
- Plate up with some more coriander and spring onion sprinkled over, and serve with some yoghurt or sweet chilli sauce. These can also be served as a more substantial meal with poached egg, smoked salmon or halloumi on top.