Chicken Pad Thai
My introduction to chicken pad thai was from a restaurant in Memphis TN (where I’m from). I went there on a date and loved the flavor of the dish so much! I would continue to go there up to 3 times a week. Hell, I went there so frequently I got to know the owner and became pretty good friends with them. They never divulged their secret recipe for their pad thai, but they would hint at it. Anytime I guessed something that was in it they’d let me know.
After guessing most of the ingredients, it was time to start putting it all together. This Chicken Pad Thai recipe, to me, was my story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The first time I made this the sauce was barely noticeable. So I took a couple weeks and tweaked it a little further. Second time around the sauce packed a punch and was flavorful, but too sweet. It was delicious, but you could only have a couple of bites before the sweetness overpowered the flavor. Back to the drawing board! Finally the 3rd time was the charm. The sauce was flavorful, not too sweet, not too bland, just absolutely perfect.
That chicken pad thai recipe is the one I’m putting on here now and though it may not be exactly like the restaurant, it is damn close enough! I believe that cooking should be fun, the food should have memories and it should be something that you want to continue to make for yourself, friends and family all to share in. When I make this, I’m taken back to Memphis 15 years ago to the time I first had the dish. I just hope that I can portray that memory as best possible to my friends and family because when they taste this food, I want them to be transported to that time with me!
So without further ado, here’s the recipe for our chicken pad thai and I hope you enjoy it as much as I had coming up with it!
From our kitchen to your, cheers!
Chicken Pad Thai
- 1 package pad thai noodles
- 2 chicken breasts sliced thin
- 6 green onion chopped in 1 inch length
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 eggs
Pad Thai Sauce
- 1 – 2 tbsp sugar depending on how sweet you want this
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add all Pad Thai Sauce ingredients together and mix until sugar is dissolved
- Boil a pot of water for noodles
- Add noodles to boiling water until cooked. Drain and rinse under cold water
- Bring a pot of water to boil the chicken (that's right, we're going to boil the chicken first)
- Boil chicken for 5 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through
- Strain chicken from water and let dry
- In large skillet, saute pan or wok (preferably) add sesame oil bring to high heat
- Add chicken and let cook until browning
- Add eggs into oil and let cook, once cooked mix with chicken well
- Add Pad Thai Sauce to chicken and cooked eggs
- Add noodles, green onions, bean sprouts and continue to mix well
- Cook for 1-2 minutes and serve