Chickpeas With Basmati Rice
What I love about chickpeas is how versatile they are in the kitchen- able to take on many textures from the creamiest of creamy to the crispiest of crispy. Like lentils, they are comfort food in our household- comfort food that leaves us feeling energized and alive instead of tired and heavy.
Punjabi Chole, also known as Amritsari Chole, is a creamy, tangy and dark-colored chickpea curry made with a special masala blend. It's an Instant Pot recipe made with dried or canned chickpeas, best served street-style with crispy puffed bhaturas.
An authentic recipe for Chana Masala that can be made in an Instant pot or on the stovetop. A quick and easy Vegetarian dinner recipe that is full of amazing Indian flavor! Serve this with Naan or Basmati Rice.
Chickpeas provide protein, fiber and a wide array of nutrients, making this a very satisfying and nutritious dish.
A unique combination of tangy and earthy Indian spices offer a world of umami flavor!
One special ingredient provides that iconic, street-style Punjab chole at home.
Making this curry in an Instant Pot gives it the slow-cooked intense flavors in a fraction of the time, with very little effort.
The option of using canned chickpeas gets dinner on the table in under 30 minutes - which especially comes in handy on busy weeknights.
Perfect quick meal to be served with Rice or Naan.
How beautiful this has turned out !
Lovely Tangy Gravy, how was yours ?
Chickpeas With Basmati Rice
- 4 cups of chickpeas rinse and soak in water, overnight, or at least 8-10 hours
- 2 tsp Ghee/Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Chopped Onions
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Red Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin seed
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala
- 2 Tomatoes Puree
- 1/2 tsp Amchur powder
- 1/2 tsp Channa Masala,
- 1/2 tsp Tamarind Puree
- 1 Black Tea Bag
- 2 Green Chilies
- Cilantro- For Garnish
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- Heat ghee/oil for 30 seconds on Saute mode in the Instant Pot.
- Add bay leaf and chopped 2 onions, and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add Spices(Turmeric power, red power, 1 Tb spoon cumin seed, 1 Tb spoon salt, 1 Tb spoon garam masala. Saute for another minute, Add tomato puree of 2 Tomatoes.
- Add Amchur powder, Channa masala, Tamarind puree.
- Now add Chickpeas, add minced ginger(optional) and 2 green chillies and saute for another minute.
- Add a few tablespoons of water if spices start sticking to the bottom.
- Add ginger and garlic paste, rinsed chickpeas, water. Give it a stir.
- Add tea bags and gently push them under the liquid. Close the lid of pressure cook for 45 minutes.
- Wait for the pressure to release for at least 10 minutes, mash up a few beans.
- Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes and check for seasoning.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with Basmati boiled rice or naan.
- Tea Bags: Indian tea bags promote a rich colored gravy, add while boiling.
- Chickpeas: This curry can be made with dried and soaked, dried and unsoaked or canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans. The cooking times will vary based on which style of chickpea you use.
- Amchur: This is dried mango powder, which is added for a tart flavor. Look for it in Indian specialty markets or online. If unavailable, add 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice towards the end.
- Tamarind Concentrate: Traditionally, dried pomegranate powder, called anardana, is used, but that is hard to find sometimes and doesn't have a long shelf life.