Simple Instant Pot Vegetable Barley Soup
Ready in under an hour, this Instant Pot Vegetable Barley Soup will keep you warm on the coldest nights! The Instant Pot does the hard work for you when you make this hearty soup, and it doesn't get easier than that!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. However this is at no cost to you. Read my affiliate links full disclosure policy here.
In the Winter, there is nothing better than homemade soup for dinner. This Instant Pot Barley Soup is loaded with good for you veggies and surrounded by a flavorful broth. The best part is, it's made entirely in the Instant Pot! It's one pot wonder, perfect for busy nights!
This easy recipe is great with some homemade bread! Dip warm, crusty bread into this flavorful soup! I love dipping sourdough rolls, Instant Pot rolls, and sweet potato rolls right into the soup!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Pearl Barley. You can easily find pearl barley in your local grocery store or on amazon.
- Olive oil. To saute the veggies in before cooking the soup.
- Fresh vegetables. We are using mushrooms, zucchini, bell pepper, onions, and garlic for this soup. You can use any veggies that you have in your refrigerator.
- Broth. Homemade chicken broth or vegetable broth can be used. Chicken stock or vegetable stock can be used instead. If you don't have any of those ingredients, you can use water.
- Spices. Salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, and two bay leaves. A bay leaf cannot be eaten, so make sure you remove it before you serve this soup.
What is Barley?
Barley is part of the whole grains family, and is known as a cereal grain. Pearl barley is different than regular barley grains because pearl barley has the tough, outside husk removed. This makes it easier to digest and also makes it cook quicker.
Equipment You'll Need
- Instant Pot- You'll need at least a 6 quart Instant Pot or the soup won't fit.
- Cutting Boards
- Vegetable Peeler
Let's Make Instant Pot Vegetable Barley Soup!
Chop all the vegetables into small pieces and set them aside.
Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and add the olive oil. Add all the chopped vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
Add the Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Stir again.
Add the barley and broth. Cover the Instant Pot and make sure the lid is set to the sealing position. Cancel the saute function.
Set the cooking time to 20 minutes on high pressure. After 20 minutes, quick release the remaining pressure. Give the soup a stir and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Place a Dutch oven on the stovetop. Add the olive oil and all the chopped veggies. Turn the heat on medium heat and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the barley and broth and cover the Dutch oven. Allow the soup to cook for 30 minutes or until the barley is al dente and cooked through. Serve immediately.
How To Make This In The Slow Cooker
Making this in the slow cooker could not be easier, but it does take a lot longer! Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker and set the slow cooker on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Serve with fresh parsley and grated cheese if you would like.
- Change up the veggies! Use green beans, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, yellow squash, or leafy greens in this soup too.
- Add some protein! You can add a can of drained beans, or you can make this and Instant Pot beef barley soup. Cut up tender chunks of beef and saute it for 4-5 minutes. Then add the rest of the ingredients and follow the instructions to make the soup.
- Change up the spices! This is a more Italian style soup, but you can add soy sauce for more umami flavor, or chili powder for more of a spicy soup.
Frequently Asked Questions
I don't have barley, what else can I use?
If you don't have barley, you can use brown rice, quinoa, or white rice.Can you freeze this soup recipe?
Yes! Once the soup has cooled, add it to freezer-safe containers or a freezer bag. Place it in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to serve the soup, place the frozen soup into a large Dutch oven over the medium-high heat and reheat the soup.How long do leftovers last?
Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days. To reheat, reheat them on the stove top or you can reheat them in the microwave.
- More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Quinoa Soup
- Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
- Broccoli Soup in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Loaded Cauliflower Soup
Did you love this recipe? If you did, please leave a 5 ⭐️ rating below! Follow along on Instagram and Facebook!
Simple Instant Pot Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Onion 1 cup, chopped
- 1 Carrot 1 cup, chopped
- 1 Zucchini 1 cup, chopped
- 4 Mushrooms 1 cup, chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper 1 cup, chopped
- 3/4 cup Pearl Barley
- 6 cups Vegetable Broth Low Sodium
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Peel and chop all the vegetables into small pieces and set them aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and add the olive oil. Add all the chopped vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Stir again.
- Add the barley and broth. Cover the Instant Pot and make sure the lid is set to the sealing position. Cancel the saute function.
- Set the cooking time to 20 minutes on high pressure. After 20 minutes, quick release the remaining pressure. Give the soup a stir and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- Be very careful when releasing the pressure. Broth can come out of the lid when the pressure is released and it will be very, very hot.
- Low sodium broth is the best so you are able to control the salt that is in the soup.