Potato & Leek Soup
This comforting soup can be made as thick or thin as you like. I prefer mine somewhere in the middle, otherwise it reminds me too much of mashed potatoes. To elevate this dish to the next level, I garnish it with a splash of cream, crispy bacon, and the most important ingredient - crispy fried leeks.
Leeks are full of flavor and add so much to this humble dish. You will be shocked at how utilizing the white stems for the soup and green tops to add a crunchy & salty garnish will transform this meal.
For more comforting meal ideas, follow my Instagram @tikofoods.
Potato & Leek Soup
For the Soup
- 3 white potatoes, peeled & diced
- 2 large leeks, sliced white ends only
- 1 tbsp butter or oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1L chicken or veggie stock
- 2 tbsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
For the Toppings
- 2 large leeks, green ends only
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked & chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup cream or dairy alternative
- Add the butter or oil to a large pot and heat on low-medium
- Add the diced potato, sliced leek, and garlic to the pot
- Saute quickly then add chicken or veggie stock and season with salt & pepper
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and cover the pot, simmering for approximately 15 minutes until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork
- While the veggies boil, heat more oil in a frying pan until hot then add the sliced green ends of the leeks
- Saute the leeks until they darken in color and become crispy, but be careful to stir frequently to avoid burning
- Turn off the heat and blend using an immersion blender or regular blender until smoothe
- Taste test and add more salt or pepper depending on your preference
- Pour into a bowl and top with a splash of cream, bacon bits, more pepper, and crispy leeks
- For a healthier option, mix in a spoonful of Greek yogurt for creaminess instead of table cream
Published February 25th, 2023 4:07 PM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!