The Best Grilled Chicken Kale Salad
This Grilled Chicken Kale Salad is a great way to introduce kale to people who think they don’t like it! The thinly chopped kale and flavorful dressing are delicious with any grilled meat.For healthy recipes and meal ideas, visit our blog: Simply2moms!
True confession: *I* did not like kale.At all.I’d only ever had it cooked and it was disgusting with a capital D! When one of my friends raved about this salad, I was pretty skeptical.I put on my big girl pants and gave it a try: after all, kale is so good for you.I was hooked after the first bite! And I was shocked.It was a little garlicky and the kale gave it just the right amount of texture and bitterness. The dressing is also really bright thanks to the lemon juice.I think the key to this recipe is how the kale is sliced so thin and then the dressing is massaged into the kale to make the leaves soft and flavorful.
If you follow a low carb lifestyle, simply omit the crushed croutons, or substitute crushed pork rinds.If you eat gluten-free, you can either omit the crushed croutons or you can substitute gluten-free bread crumbs.
I like to buy whole kale because that’s the easiest way to remove all the stalks.You can also buy bagged kale that’s been cut into smaller pieces. Just be sure to remove any stalks from your kale.For a single serving recipe, you’ll need 4-6 large leaves of kale depending on their size.Next, stack the kale leaves on top of each other and then slice them into thin ribbons.You want your slices to be about 1/4-inch wide or even thinner if you’re really good with a chef’s knife.Once your kale is all sliced, transfer it to a medium-sized mixing bowl. You should have about 3 cups of lightly packed kale strips.
To make the dressing, add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, mineral salt, and black pepper to a small bowl or measuring cup and whisk it together until blended.Pour the dressing over your kale and Parmesan cheese mixture.
Add the shredded Parmesan cheese to the kale. You can use the kind from a can, but freshly shredded has more flavor.Toss it around until it's spread throughout the greens.
The key is to massage the dressing into the kale until the greens become somewhat wilted.
Top with slices of grilled chicken and garnish with a little more shredded parmesan cheese and serve!This salad is great with a variety of proteins on top, or omit the protein and serve it as a side salad.
The Best Grilled Chicken Kale Salad
- 3 cups fresh kale, stems removed and sliced in thin ribbons
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp grilled sprouted grain bread crumbs omit for keto or gluten-free diets
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 ounces grilled skinless, boneless chicken can substitute steak, grilled shrimp, or grilled salmon
- Remove stems from kale then slice into thin, 1/4-inch wide ribbons. Place in a medium bowl and toss with Parmesan cheese. Add the bread crumbs and toss into kale mixture.
- In a small container, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, mineral salt, pepper and garlic powder until well blended. Pour over kale mixture and mix well either with a spoon or massage the dressing in with your hands, slightly crushing the kale to soften it.
- Top with grilled chicken and serve!
- If you follow a keto lifestyle simply omit the crushed croutons when you make this recipe.
- If you eat gluten-free, you can either omit the crushed croutons or you can substitute gluten-free bread crumbs. Please note that gluten-free products often include ingredients that aren’t considered “on plan” for Trim Healthy Mama.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published December 4th, 2020 2:18 PM