It has become a Boxing Day tradition in our house to make this big bowl of festive slaw to have with our Christmas Day leftovers in the following week.
I think after the heavy and rich foods of previous days, this fresh and crisp slaw with a light vinaigrette instead of mayonnaise feels like a welcome break - and adds a splash of colour to the plate.
Since there is a bit of effort in preparing all the vegetables, I like to make a huge bowl that lasts a while. You can also leave some of the mixture without the dressing until needed, to help it last a little longer.
With the dressing, it lasts a couple days in the fridge.
- 2 CUP red cabbage, shredded
- 2 CUP carrots, shredded
- 1 apple, grated
- 1/2 red onion, very finely sliced
- Handful of parsley, chopped
- 1 TSP lemon juice
- Handful of Flaked almonds
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 TSP Mustard
- 1 TSP White Wine Vinegar
- 1 TSP Honey
- 1/2 TSP Salt
- Find the biggest mixing bowl you have and toss together the carrots, red cabbage and parlsey.
- In a separate bowl, mix the grated the apple and finely sliced red onion with lemon juice. Leave for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add all the ingredients for the dressing and mix together well.
- Combine the two bowls together and coat in the dressing, stirring everything together. Add the flaked almonds and mix again.