Crispy Chicken Parmesan Recipe
The best easy chicken recipe you’ll ever try! This chicken parmesan is made with a flavorful crispy coating and baked with homemade marinara sauce and plenty of cheese before served over spaghetti or zucchini noodles.
Chicken Parmesan (also called Chicken Parmigiana) is one of the most popular and most loved oven baked chicken recipes out there. I’m sure it will become one of your family’s favorites.
This recipe calls for a marinara sauce – I’ve used my homemade version of it, and it is so good, you need to try it out! Honestly, so fresh and flavorful! Simply make it ahead and keep it in the refrigerator or freeze for few months.
Usually, I’m not a fan of chicken breast, because it usually requires more skill to make it really juicy and tender. BUT this recipe is 100% foolproof and will guarantee the chicken to be moist, tender, and flavorful. Simply delicious!
On a side note, this chicken recipe does require more steps, but it’s totally worth it.
This chicken tastes better than in your favorite restaurant, no joking!
Crispy Chicken Parmesan Recipe
For The Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts 1 lb 4 oz 580 grams
- ⅓ cup gluten-free flour or any other type see notes
- ½ tsp black ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 ½ cup homemade marinara sauce see notes
- 1 cup mozzarella & parmesan mix grated or shredded (or simply just mozzarella)
- 1 tbsp basil fresh, chopped or parsley
For The Crispy Crust
- ½ cup panco breadcrumbs gluten free if desired or any italian flavored crumbs (see notes)
- 1 tsp italian spices if using breadcrumbs skip this
- ½ cup parmesan grated
- 1 tsp garlic powder or onion
- Make my homemade marinara sauce and set aside. You can also make this ahead of time as it can stay in the fridge for up to 3 days, alternatively, you can freeze it as well which makes a perfect meal prep.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half widthwise to make 4 thin breasts.
- Place them on the wooden board covered with plastic wrap and pound on both sides.
- Season with salt and pepper (both sides).
- Prepare 3 small bowls: flour mixed with garlic powder, whisked egg mixture, breadcrumbs, cheese, and Italian spices.
- Coat the chicken in flour, then egg, and then bread crumbs.
- Heat up the skillet with oil, add chicken and fry on high heat for 3 minutes on both sides. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Preheat oven to 420°F (200°C).
- Take a baking dish and add a layer of marinara sauce. Place the fried chicken breasts on top. If they don’t fit side by side, gently overlap them. Pour another layer of the marinara over the chicken.
- Finally, sprinkle the chicken with grated mozzarella cheese. If you have parmesan you can mix it together with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese melted and sauce bubbly.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with freshly chopped basil.
- Serve with mashed potato, pasta, spaghetti, or for a lighter version with a fresh salad or zucchini noodles.
- This recipe makes 4 portions.
- Use my go-to gluten-free flour mix.
- You can make this recipe either with already seasoned breadcrumbs with Italian spices or use plain breadcrumbs and add Italian spice mix to your breadcrumbs.