I am so excited to share this one pot (Instant Pot) Chile Verde Chicken and Rice that comes together so easily. These cold evenings have me craving easy meals that make me feel warm and cozy! You can definitely spice it up or down depending on your preference!
Chile Verde Chicken & Brown Rice
This one pot Chile Verde Chicken and Rice is made with brown rice chicken, peppers, onion, salsa verde and the tastiest herbs and spices!
I love using brown rice in one pot meals like this because it is packed with fiber as well as a tons of vitamins (vitamin B1 (thiamine), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B3 (niacin), vitamin B6, folate, vitamin E, and vitamin K). Brown rice also contains tons of minerals (zinc, iron, magnesium, and manganese).
What you need to make this one pot Chile Verde Chicken and Rice:
- Chicken thighs or breast- boneless, skinless
- Salsa Verde sauce - I like this one from Trader Joe's or this Herdez brand works well too
- Brown rice
- Chicken broth
- Peppers and onion blend, find it in the frozen section of your grocery store
- Olive Oil
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Lime or lime juice
Using pre chopped frozen vegetables is such a great way to save yourself some time! Frozen produce is picked, prepped and frozen while at peak ripeness and most nutrients are locked in during the freezing process. Produce starts to lose nutrients as soon as it is harvested so eating frozen is not a bad thing! If you're able to, try to get your hands on local fresh produce!
How to make this one pot Chile Verde Chicken and Rice
This recipe can be made in one pot, I love the convenience of being able to throw everything in the Instant Pot, set it and walk away. Saute peppers and onion blend in a little oil then add salsa verde sauce, rice, broth and spices. Place chicken right on top. Close the lid and set the instant pot to pressure cook high for about 14 minutes. Take a few minutes to slice up some jalapenos and chop some cilantro and green onion for garnish. Once the Instant Pot timer goes off change the steam valve to vent. When all the pressure is released, remove chicken and shred it then add back to the pot. Mix it up and it's ready to serve! We love to garnish with fresh jalapenos, cilantro and green onions! Serve it up as is or with some corn chips- we are all about texture around here!
Every spoonful is packed with so much great flavor. I love adding jalapenos, cilantro and green onion for the perfect bite of freshness. I love how colorful this meal is too! The color from the peppers and fresh garnishes gives it such a nice pop of color!
Meal Prep Tips:
You can plan to make this ahead of time and refrigerate up to 4 days or freeze for 3 months. It's a great meal to have tucked away in the freezer for those crazy busy nights or an easy planned night off from cooking!
- Tandoori Chicken Taco Bowl
- Pasta alla Carbonara
Chile Verde Chicken & Brown Rice
- 4-5 Chicken thighs, boneless or 3 chicken breast
- 1 Jar, 12oz Salsa Verde sauce
- 1/2 cup Brown rice
- 2 cups Peppers and onion blend, frozen See link above
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 fresh Jalapeno, sliced
- 4-5 sprigs Cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Lime or lime juice, per taste
- Green onion, chopped
- Set Instant Pot to saute mode and saute peppers and onion blend in 1 tablespoon olive oil for 2 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add jar of salsa verde, brown rice, broth, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, salt and stir well.
- Place chicken right on top, close lid and set to pressure cook for 14 minutes
- Once timer is completed, turn steam valve to vent. Once all the steam is released open Instant Pot and remove just the chicken and place on a cutting board or a plate.
- Shred chicken with a fork and place it back into the pot and mix well
- Serve in bowls, top with fresh jalapenos, cilantro, and green onions. Add sour cream for creaminess and serve with corn chip for that satisfying "crunch"! Enjoy