These baked meatballs are delicious and juicy, and have a surprise mozzarella center! Baked in the oven, they are the perfect accompaniment to pasta night, or just eaten as-is as an appetizer! Sometimes I will serve them alongside my vegetable tortellini casserole!
The combination of beef and italian sausage makes these meatballs so flavorful and moist. The whole family gobbled them up! Extra meatballs (if there are any!) can be stored in the freezer so that you can have them on-demand - simply heat in the microwave until heated through.
We also love to eat them on a bun for a homemade "meatball sub" type of dish. (except on homemade burger buns because why not!)
Your family will love these meatballs - try keeping the cheese centre a secret and watching anyone who tries them instantly get excited on the first bite!
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb Italian pork sausage
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 36 pieces of mozzarella cheese, 1/2 inch cubed
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with tin foil, set aside
- In a small bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs and milk, set aside and allow to soak 5 minutes
- In a large bowl, mix together the beef, sausage, egg, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and panko mixture until everything is uniformly mixed
- Portion out 36 equal pieces of meatball mixture, then push a cheese cube into the center of each and bring the edges up around the cheese to seal, roll into a ball and place onto prepared baking sheet evenly spaced apart
- Bake in preheated oven 18-20 minutes or until completely cooked through
- use about 1/2 inch cubes of cheese - it is tempting to use a HUGE piece of cheese - but the bigger the piece of cheese the more likely it is to run out during cooking because the meat will be too thin to really seal it in (guilty of this!!)