The Best One Pot Lasagna Soup
Calling all lasagna lovers! Our One Pot Lasagna Soup has all the tastiness of lasagna in a creamy bowl of savory soup! Even better, it takes less than 30 minutes to make, and you'll only need to clean ONE pot!
Note: this post contains affiliate links
What is Lasagna Soup?
Lasagna soup is just what is sounds like: lasagna in soup form! But instead of layering the ingredients in a pan and baking the lasagna, you put all the ingredients in a pot and cook til done (adding cheese at the very end)! It's much faster to make, and you don't have to wait as long to eat!
This tomato-based soup is loaded with all the traditional lasagna ingredients: ground meat, tomato sauce, lasagna noodles and cheese. And on a cold or rainy day, this soup is so much more satisfying than traditional lasagna! Ingredients This may look like a lot, but I bet you have at least 50% of these at home already. I had 57% and yes, I calculated that because I'm a huge dork.
How to Make Lasagna Soup
It takes less than 30 minutes to make this soup and you'll only have to use ONE pot. There is minimal chopping for this recipe. So, the prep work is really just combining ingredients.
STEP 1: Sauté onions and garlic.
We recommend using a large pot or Dutch Oven.
🥄 Kids Step: Your kids can help chop the onion. We recommend Curious Chef Knife Set, Opinel Knife, & Made for Me Beginner's Knife. And it's weird, but swimming goggles are great for protecting little eyes while chopping onions. Kids see it as a fun costume too.
STEP 2: Add in ground turkey
🥄Kids Step: Have your kiddo use this Calphalon Potato Masher (or any similar tool you like) to break up the turkey as it cooks. It's a fun job.
STEP 3: Turn this into soup! Add remaining ingredients (except cheese), bring to a boil, and then add pasta.
🥄 Kids Step: Kids can use a Pyrex measuring cup to measure out broth.
STEP 4: Create cheese topping
Finally, combine the cheeses and scoop cheese mixture onto each soup bowl.
🥄 Kids Step: Let kids do the scooping! This OXO Good Grips Cookie Scoop is fun to use for the cheese. They will love watching the cheese melt into the soup.
The Best One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 t salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1/4 can chopped tomatoes with green chilies
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 2 t Italian seasoning
- 6 cups chicken broth/stock
- 8 oz 'no boil' lasagna noodles uncooked, broken into thirds
- 1 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- [optional: parsley for garnish]
- Heat a large pot (or dutch oven) to low-medium. Once heated, add olive oil and onion. Cook for 2-3 mins, stirring frequently. Then add garlic and cook for 1 min more, stirring frequently.
- Increase heat to medium and add turkey, salt and pepper to pot, breaking up the meat with a spatula or potato masher as it cooks. Cook until no longer pink (~6 mins).
- Now add chopped tomatoes, marinara, Italian seasoning & stock/broth. Bring to a boil and add broken noodles. Cook noodles according to package, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine all three cheeses in a medium bowl. Serve soup in bowl, with a scoop of the cheese mixture on top. Mix cheese into soup at the table.
- Serve lasagna soup in bowls, each with a scoop of cheese mixture. Once seated, stir cheese into your soup.
- Chop onions finely for faster cooking.
- We used ground turkey, but you could also use beef, chicken or sausage.
- Add extra broth if soup seems too thick.
- 'No boil' lasagna noodles will cook faster than traditional lasagna noodles.
- Break dry noodles into thirds (or smaller) before cooking. Full size noodles are too hard to eat in a soup.
- The amount of cheese mixture can easily be reduced...it's a lot of cheese!
- Great sides are garlic bread, garden salad, or cut veggies with dip.