Easy Avocado Sushi Roll
This vegan and vegetarian avocado roll is packed with creamy avocado slices and wrapped in sticky cooked rice and a toasted nori sheet. It’s topped with sesame seeds and can be served with your favorite sauces.
Follow this step by step guide with photos and a video tutorial to make your own easy avocado sushi rolls at home!
why you’ll love this vegan sushi roll
These avocado sushi rolls are made with just a few simple ingredients. Because of this, they’re super easy to make, especially if it’s your first time making sushi!
These avocado rolls have only one filling ingredient, which makes them a perfect place to start if you’re a beginner at making sushi!
- Fast: whip these up in less than 30 minutes for when those sushi cravings hit.
- Easy sushi recipe: this step by step recipe will show you exactly how to roll the sushi.
- Creamy and fresh: these rolls are filled with as much fresh, ripe avocado as you’d like.
- Short-grain sushi rice
- Nori: each roll is wrapped in a sheet of nori, or dried seaweed
- Ripe avocado: slices of avocado are the star of this veggie sushi roll
- Rice vinegar: you can also buy premade sushi seasoning from your local Asian market
- Cane sugar: or another sugar
- Soy sauce: for serving
- Vegan spicy mayo: optional for serving
tips & tricks
- Spread a thin layer of rice onto the nori. Too much rice makes rolling difficult.
- Work on a flat surface for ease of rolling.
- Use a piece of plastic wrap on top of the bamboo mat for easy cleanup.
- Dip the wooden spoon or paddle in a little water to prevent the rice from sticking.
- Cut the avocado strips into thin slices and layer them on top of each other for easy rolling.
- Make sure your sushi rice has cooled completely and is at room temperature or else the nori will become soggy and wilt slightly, making the rolls difficult to cut.
- Use a serrated knife if your chef’s knife isn’t cutting through the rolls well.
- Place a piece of parchment paper over the roll prior to slicing to help hold the shape of the roll as you cut it into 8 pieces.
Easy Avocado Sushi Roll
- 2 cups short grain sushi rice, makes about 4-5 sushi rolls
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp granulated cane sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 sheets nori, these are nori sheets I used which I cut in half for 1 roll
- 2 large avocados, ripe but still firm to the touch
- Sesame Seeds
- Ginger & Wasabi
- Soy Sauce
To Make the Sushi Rice
- Pour the sushi rice into a metal sieve and rinse it until the water runs clear.
- Rice Cooker: Add the rice and 2 1/4 cups of water to a rice cooker. Select the white rice option or cook according to your rice cooker’s instructions.
- Stovetop: follow your sushi rice package instructions.
- Mix together the vinegar, cane sugar, and salt to make the seasoned rice vinegar.
- When the rice is finished cooking, fluff it with a fork and add the seasoned rice vinegar.
- Set aside and let the rice cool so it is at room temperature before rolling the sushi.
Prep the Bamboo Mat
- Roll out a sheet of plastic wrap 2 times the size of your bamboo mat.
- Tightly wrap the bamboo mat with plastic (this will make clean up easier and prevent the rice from sticking).
Prep the Avocado
- With a sharp knife, cut the avocado in half lengthwise.
- Carefully tap the knife into the pit to remove it.
- Set the two halves aside until ready to roll the sushi.
To Make the Avocado Roll
- For the steps below see the images in post above or watch the video below for reference.
- Prep your workstation by filling a small bowl with cold water and have a clean towel ready.
- Lay the sushi mat so the bamboo rows are horizontal. Then, lay the sheet of nori onto the bamboo mat leaving about 1” from the edge closest to you.
- Dampen a wooden spoon or paddle and scoop about 1/3 cup of sushi rice. Spread the rice onto the nori in an even layer all the way to the edges.
- Flip the sheet of nori with rice over, so the nori side is facing up.
- Use a butter knife to cut a ¼” wedge out of one of the avocado halves. Repeat to get 3-4 wedges. Lay the wedges onto the nori, leaving a ¾” gap between the edge closet to you and the avocado.
- Roll the edge of the mat up over the avocado away from you. Use your fingers to tuck the avocado into the nori as you roll.
- Then lift up the mat and continue rolling until the two edges of sushi rice make contact. Remove the roll from the mat and place on a cutting board.
- Slice into 8 even sized pieces, wiping and dampening your knife after each slice. You can also use a serrated knife to slice the sushi.
- Serve with sesame seeds and soy sauce.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published June 1st, 2022 11:39 AM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!