This Butternut Squash Risotto recipe is easy, healthy, and deliciously creamy without adding tons of ingredients. Risotto is perfect for when you’re craving something warm and hearty this fall!
Butternut Squash Risotto
Risotto is a dish that is great all year-round, and will quickly become a family favorite. If you haven’t made one yet, then this butternut squash risotto is an excellent start. This risotto is quite straightforward, doesn’t involve many ingredients, no pre-roasting the squash (unless you want even deeper butternut squash flavor), or any other difficult and time-consuming prep. It is relatively light risotto, vegetarian, and can be made vegan very easily by using vegan butter, vegetable broth, and vegan cheese instead of the regular ingredients listed in this recipe.
There is plenty of customization when it comes to risottos by adding variety of spices, herbs, mushrooms and protein such as pancetta, chorizo, chicken or seafood. But I’ll leave it up to you, as this is just a simple vegetarian base that you can use to customize further. What I’ve used in this butternut squash risotto: Butternut Squash – you can also use roasted winter squash or regular pumpkin of choice. Risotto rice – essential to use the right rice to have the best and authentic result. Butter – gives that buttery, creamy flavor to the rice. Warm Chicken or vegetable stock – adds texture and rich flavor. Dry White Wine – adds a boost of acidity to the dish, but feel free to go for a non-alcoholic version and just stick to the lemon juice and add a bit of broth or hot water instead. Season simply – salt, pepper and a little nutmeg or cinnamon it’s all you need. Parmesan – salty parmesan or similar other aged cheese will help to develop the flavor and complete the dish. Just a quick note that this is a my way of making risotto, maybe not the authentic Italian Risotto type because I love my risotto fulfilling, creamy and thick with a bit (but not too much) of liquid inside. You can simmer the rice until the liquid is all vaporized if you wish to follow the more classical risotto version.
Instructions In a wide pot, a dutch oven, or skillet, melt butter.
Sautee onion, garlic until onion becomes translucent and garlic fragrant.
Add in the arborio rice and stir constantly for few minutes.
Pour in the wine and take it to almost boil. Stir in the diced butternut squash, and follow with ½ chicken broth. Stir constantly and add the broth slowly in the pot little by little. It should take about 25 minutes for all the rice to absorb all the liquid and butternut squash to soften.
Follow with nutmeg, salt, pepper.
Add in parmesan, parsley (or add as a garnish on top later). Stir to combine.
Serve right away.
Butternut Squash Risotto
- 4 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 large brown onion finely diced
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1 3/4 cups risotto rice Arborio, Carnaoli
- 4 cups chicken broth or as needed
- 1 cup parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Nutmeg to taste
- 3 1/2 cup butternut squash or pumpkin diced
- Parsley pumpkin seeds, pine nuts for garnish
- Pumpkin seed oil for garnish
- In a wide pot or skillet, melt butter and sautee onion, garlic until onion becomes translucent and
- Garlic fragrant. Add in the rice and stir constantly for few minutes.
- Pour in the wine and take it to almost boil. Stir in the diced butternut squash, and follow with ½ chicken broth.
- Stir constantly and add the broth slowly in the pot little by little. It should take about 25 minutes for all the rice to absorb all the liquid. Follow with parmesan, parsley (or add as a garnish on top later), nutmeg, salt, pepper. Serve right away.