This creamy lemon mussels sauce is a guaranteed hit! Serve it with a loaf of French bread, as you will want to suck up all the leftover sauces.
Preparing the creamy lemon mussels sauce. The base of the sauce starts with making a blond roux. Whisk flour in the melted butter and slowly start to add the milk while whisking. This will prevent lumps from forming. The liquid absorbs quickly, so you will need to work fast and keep an eye on it.
Check out my IG for the video on how I make this recipe.
How to clean mussels. Mussels are so versatile and easy to prepare. They should however be cleaned and inspected properly before cooking it.
- In a colander, rinse the mussels.
- Discard any broken mussels and ones that does not close again.
- With a sturdy brush, scrub the mussels and pull out any of the hairy “beard”. A nail brush is perfect for cleaning mussels.
How do you know when mussels are cooked. Mussels does not need a lot of cooking time. Usually, it takes about 3 to 4 minutes for the mussels to be cooked. Once they are open, they are ready to eat. Avoid overcooking it or you will end up with tough, rubbery structure.
Tips for eating mussels:
- Mussels are one of those foods where it’s totally acceptable to eat with your hands. Simply use one empty mussel shell that is still in tact as a utensil to pick out the rest of the mussels.
- A mussel pan is not just ideal for cooking mussels but the lid also serves a dish to discard empty mussel shells when eating.
For more seafood recipes, try:
Let me know in the comments, if you tried this recipe!
DISCLAIMER: Links included in this description might be affiliate links. If you make a purchase with the links I provide, I may receive a small commission at no additional charge to you!