Besan Oats Ladoo - healthy-ish sweet treats. These energy balls are nutty, sweetened with coconut sugar and taste soooo good. These bites are made with oat and chickpea flour, they are nutritious and provide an instant source of energy, can be enjoyed guilt free. Ladoos are a famous rich Indian sweet made in ghee and sugar, however this recipe being on the healthier side are made by dry roasting the flours. This important step not just makes the texture of these bites more dense but also reduces the amount of ghee that goes in.
Oats Besan Ladoo
All you need is a little patience while making these bites, dry roasting flours takes a couple of minutes and post that it is all about mixing the remaining ingredients. These bites can also be sweetened with jaggery, maple syrup or honey. You can add peanut or almond butter in place of ghee to make it vegan.
This recipe makes 15-16 decent size ladoos, so they are convenient to bite and take along during a walk or run. Try out these easy to make ladoos and you will happily relish the flavors.
A simple yet important finishing step is to add a pinch of sesame seeds for garnish, not just makes the ladoos even more attractive but also adds to goodness and an extra kick of flavors from seeds.
Oats Besan Ladoo
- 1 cup besan / chickpea flour
- 1 cup oats, blended into flour
- 1/3 cup ghee (+ 1 tbsp if needed)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup almonds, crushed
- 1/4 cup milk
- Sieve besan aka chickpea flour to make sure no lumps are there in the flour. In a pan on low medium heat dry roast besan for 10 mins, stirring continuously to ensure it doesn’t get burnt. Add oat flour and dry roast for another 10 mins, stirring continuously.
- Add melted ghee and mix well ensuring no lumps, break lumps from back of the spoon and add 1 tbsp ghee more if needed. Roast the mixture for 5-7 mins on medium heat until you see the batter coming together.
- Add crushed or powdered almonds or nuts of choice, you can also add raisins and mix well. Let roast for 2-3 mins more add sugar. Remove from stove and mix sugar well
- Let the mixture cool for 5 mins, add milk in batches and combine together with the help of your hands to combine the mixture. Apply ghee between palms. take 1 tbsp batter and pressing it between palms roll into ladoos/balls. Apply ghee on finger and paste sesame seeds on top of the ball.
- Store in an air tight container, lasts good up to 1 week and keep refrigerated there after. Place at room temperature before eating or slightly warm it for 10 seconds in the microwave.