A favorite childhood dessert, dirt cups are traditionally made of Oreo cookies, chocolate pudding, and whipped cream and topped with gummy worms. My Vegan Dirt Cups are dairy-free, gluten-free, unrefined sugar-free, and come together in under one hour!
Vegan Dirt Cups
- The first step for making these Vegan Dirt Cups is to make one batch of my hot chocolate cookie recipe. This super easy recipe comes together in one bowl and is ready in about 20 minutes. Once the cookies are baked, allow them to cool completely. While they are cooling, make the chocolate pudding.
- If you feel ambitious, you can make chocolate pudding from scratch. Since I cook all day long, I love store-bought items that help make my meals semi-homemade. I used store-bought chocolate pudding from Simply Delish. Add the pudding mix to a small bowl, then add in your plant-based milk. I like to use an immersion blender to ensure no lumps, but a whisk works just as well. As you are blending, you will notice the pudding will thicken.
- To some small mason jars or kid-friendly containers, add a small scoop of the chocolate pudding, then layer with a bit of crumbled hot chocolate cookies. Next, add some more chocolate pudding. Continue with the same pattern until the jars and containers are full.
- Lastly, add a dollop of coconut whipped cream such as SoDelicious CocoWhip and top off with some gummy worms. Serve right away or cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
How to store
I recommend consuming the diet cups fresh if possible. If not, cover them with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to three days. The cookies will be soggy, but they will still be delicious!
It's a game-changer when you can find store-bought food products that are compliant with your diet. Even more so when they are sweet treats or dessert-like products. I recently discovered Simply Delish puddings, and the chocolate is my favorite! It is an instant pudding mix that's sugar-free and can be made using plant-based milk. The best part, there's no chilling required. It thickens on the spot!
My two favorite brands of gummy worms are Surf Sweets and Yum Earth. They are both made with minimal ingredients and no artificial coloring.
Looking for more easy vegan desserts? Make sure to check out these No-Bake Cookie Dough Bars and this Cookies & Cream Milkshake.
Vegan Dirt Cups
- 1 packet Simply Delish Chocolate Pudding
- 1 recipe Hot Chocolate Cookies
- dairy-free whipped cream such as
- Gummy worms my favorite brands are Surf Sweets and Yum Earth
- Make the hot chocolate cookies according to the instructions, but leave out the marshmallows. Bake and allow to cool completely. While the cookies are baking, make the chocolate pudding.
- Follow the instructions for the Simply Delish Chocolate Pudding. I used coconut milk as the plant-based milk. I also recommend using an immersion blender if possible to blend and mix the pudding. It can take quite a while with just a whisk.
- Once the pudding is made and the cookies have cooled, gently crumble the cookies making sure to leave some larger chunks. Layer a cup with chocolate pudding and cookies. Finish with a dollop of coconut whipped cream and gummy worms. Enjoy!