Lasagna Soup- In the Instant Pot!
Full of ground chicken, chunks of tomatoes, creamy ricotta, and broken lasagna noodles, this Instant Pot Lasagna Soup is a fast and easy weeknight dinner! This has quickly become a favorite soup in our house!
- Check out the full recipe here
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases, however this is at no cost to you.
The Instant Pot is quickly becoming my favorite way to make soup. It's so easy and you don't have to babysit it all day! Add the ingredients to the pot and cook it up. It's the best!
I love making lasagna just as much as the next person, but it can be a lot! The cooking of the noodles, then burning your hands as you try to layer the noodles, and it takes forever to bake. Get that same flavor in 30 minutes or less with this filling and delicious soup!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's a crowd pleaser! This recipe is perfect to serve a crowd. Add a side salad and you'll have a filling, easy meal to serve your guests.
- It's the ultimate comfort food! Warm, cheesy, and full of pasta, this soup is the ultimate comfort food.
- It's a fast, weeknight dinner! Even though the Instant Pot takes 10-15 minutes to come up to pressure, this recipe is still ready in under 30 minutes.
Ingredients for Lasagna Soup
- Lasagna noodles- Break up the noodles into small, bite sized pieces.
- Ground chicken- To add protein but not all the fat.
- Sausage- To add just a little fat and extra flavor to the soup.
- Ricotta- To get that lasagna flavor.
- Mozzarella- As a garnish for this soup.
- Balsamic Vinegar- Might seem strange, but trust me, it's so delicious!
- Chicken broth- Low sodium is best so you don't have an overly salty soup.
- Instant Pot- You will need at least a 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe. Anything less and the soup will not cook properly.
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Mixing Spoons
Let's Make Instant Pot Lasagna Soup!
Chop the onions and garlic. Set that aside. Take the sausage meat out of the sausage casing. Set the Instant Pot to "saute". Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, ground chicken, and two sausage links. Cook for 5-8 minutes until there is no pink left in the meat. Add the Italian seasoning to the meat.
When the meat is completely cooked, add the tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir the soup well, making sure to scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot to remove any stuck on pieces. Add the broken lasagna noodles, and do not stir. Close the lid of the Instant Pot and set it to "High" for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, carefully release the pressure of the Instant Pot.
Add the ricotta and balsamic vinegar to the Instant Pot and stir everything to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve the soup, topping each bowl with the mozzarella. Enjoy!
Variations Of This Soup
- If you don't have lasagna noodles, use penne or ziti to make this a baked ziti soup!
- Eliminate the sausage to make this soup a little healthier.
- Use ground turkey or lean ground beef instead of ground chicken.
- Whole wheat lasagna can be used instead of regular lasagna noodles.
- Amp up the veggies! Add carrots, zucchini, or spinach to add some more healthy nutrients to the soup.
- Instead of a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, use 2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce.
- Top this soup with more ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese.
Tips and Tricks
- Don't forget to dunk sourdough bread or sourdough rolls into the soup.
- Be very careful when releasing the pressure. Sometimes, broth can come out the pressure valve and spray hot broth. Make sure you have a kitchen towel handy just in case.
- Break up the lasagna noodles quite small. As they cook, they get bigger, and you don't want huge noodles in the soup.
- Don't use no boil lasagna noodles as they will fall apart under the pressure of the Instant Pot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you freeze lasagna soup?Dairy does not freeze well, so freeze the soup without the ricotta. When you are ready to serve, mix in the ricotta and balsamic vinegar.
How long will lasagna soup last?This soup will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, add the amount of soup you would like into a saucepan on the stove. To reheat in the microwave, add the soup to a microwave safe bowl and reheat for 2 minutes.
Can I make this soup vegetarian?Yes! Simply eliminate the ground chicken and sausage. You can bulk this up by adding chopped mushrooms and chopped zucchini for a more vegetarian friendly soup. Instead of chicken broth, use vegetable broth as well.
Other Recipes To Try
Did you love this Instant Pot Lasagna Soup? I'd so appreciate it if you would give this recipe a 5 star review! That will help other hungry readers find my recipes!
And don't forget to tag me on Instagram or Facebook and share this recipe on Pinterest! Thanks for sharing this journey with me and enjoy these delicious recipes!
- More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup
- Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
- Hearty Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- Roasted Cherry Tomato Soup
Lasagna Soup- In the Instant Pot!
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 2 Sausage Links Casings Removed
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 28 ounce Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 6 cups Chicken Broth Low Sodium
- 8 Lasagna Noodles Uncooked, broken
- 1 cup Ricotta Whole Milk
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 cup Mozzarella Shredded
- Chop the onions, mince the garlic, and take the sausage meat out of the casing. Set that aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to "saute". Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, ground chicken, and sausage links. Saute until the meat is cooked and there is no pink left, 5-8 minutes.
- Add the fire roasted tomatoes and chicken broth to the Instant Pot. Stir all the ingredients. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot to remove any stuck on pieces.
- Break up the lasagna noodles and add them to the Instant Pot. Do not stir.
- Set the Instant Pot to "high" and seal the lid. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Carefully release the pressure after 5 minutes of cooking.
- Open the Instant Pot lid and add the ricotta and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the soup and top with mozzarella.
- When releasing the pressure, be careful as broth may come up the top of the Instant Pot and spatter out of the pressure valve. The broth will be very hot, so release the pressure very carefully.
- To lower the fat, use all ground chicken and remove the sausage.
- Even though you are only cooking at pressure for 5 minutes, the Instant Pot will take 10-15 minutes to come up to pressure.
what is ricotta milk? Please explain, I'd like to make this soup! Thanks!
Can this be made in a crockpot?