These delicate, small cheese snacks are great finger food or party snacks, and are a canvas for different flavour combos.
For example, you could change up the cheese ratios (but keep the overall amount the same) or combinations, so long as the cheeses you're using melt well (aim for gooey), and are flavourful and matured (e.g not mozarella).
You could also add seasonings, like garlic powder, nutmeg powder, and even cayenne powder, just mix your preferred seasonings in with the flour so it's easier and will be evenly spread throughout the batter.
Another thing that's possible are fresh herbs, so things like chopped chives or basil.
For more recipe ideas please visit my IG: olivia_homecook
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 1 1/2 oz (40g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (76g) all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g / 1 cup Gruyère cheese, or mix of shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack and Swiss cheese
- 25g (¼ cup) Gruyere cheese, or mix of shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack and Swiss cheese
- ½ egg lightly beaten, for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking tray with parchment.
- In a medium saucepan, mix water, butter and salt. Cook over medium heat, bring to boil until the butter has melted.
- Remove from the stove and add flour and black pepper. Using a wooden spoon or spatula mix well, then place it back on the stove, cooking over low heat until the dough does not stick to the pan.
- Remove from the stove let cool for two minutes. Add the eggs and beat using an electric mixer on medium speed until the batter has fully incorporated. Add the shredded cheese and mix it.
- Put the batter into a piping bag and pipe it on the tray (they should have around a tablespoon of batter each and ½ inch space in between). Push down the tip of each dough with wet fingertips (dip your finger in the cold water).
- Brush with eggwash, then top with a pinch of extra shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until they're golden in colour.
- Allow to cool completely, then store in an airtight container.
- They will soften, so to make them crusty again - reheat in a 180°C/350°F oven for 5 minutes.