Cream Cheese Penguins
The holidays are all about food and family - so why not have some fun with your food? These penguin appetizers combine black olives with flavored cream cheese. Slices of carrot make "feet" as a base plus a beak. I like to add a cucumber scarf to complete the ensemble.
Use the longer (3.5 inch) wooden picks for these, you'll find a regular toothpick too short.
These penguins are incredibly cute and suitable for any appetizer buffet during the holidays, especially Christmas and New Years.
If you want to make it a whole theme, make a separate cheese ball shaped like an igloo! Cheese balls are just so much fun!
Squeeze the cream cheese into the olives using a plastic bag (tip cut off)
Use bamboo picks - 3.5 inch long - to assemble your penguins
Add scarves if you like - use a vegetable peeler to cut strips of cucumber, then slice these to appropriate sizes.
Cream Cheese Penguins
- 18 jumbo black olives pitted
- 18 small black olives pitted
- 8 oz whipped cream cheese flavored recommended
- 1 carrot medium
- Cucumber optional
- Peel carrot and slice into inch rounds. Cut a notch from each slice to form feet. Save the notch and cut a little smaller (if desired) to form a beak.
- Cut a small slit into each small olive and insert the beak into this slit.
- Cut a long slit or wedge lengthwise into the side of each jumbo olive. Carefully insert about a teaspoon of cream cheese into each olive.
- Take a toothpick and insert it through the pieces, starting with the small olive first, and then the large olive. Place the carrot slice on a solid surface and then firmly insert your assembled penguin toothpick onto the carrot base.
- Optional: To make scarves, use a vegetable peeler and cut a few slices lengthwise from the cucumber. Cut off any peel for the edges, cut the remaining slice into appropriate sizes and then use the pieces to wrap around the penguin neck. With the scarves, our little guys are now snug and ready for winter.
- I strongly recommend flavored and whipped cream cheese. Unflavored cream cheese plus black olives is a very blah taste. And unwhipped cream cheese is too hard to work with.