This week the heat is absolutely scorching out here in Arizona. It was a sizzling high of 117F degrees yesterday and the low was only 90F! In the AZ summer, it's common practice to go from your air-conditioned house, to your air-conditioned car to somewhere else, well, air-conditioned. My girls are getting restless with their time outside limited by the heat warning temps, so I decided to make it a day of fun that was mostly indoors.
In the morning, we started with swim classes, before the heat became too blistering. We decided to continue with the water theme for the rest of our day. Our next stop was to visit the aquarium. My 3 year old wanted to bake afterwards. So we headed over to the grocery store to pick up ingredients and soak up their A/C. They had a dozen cupcakes on super sale. I thought better to buy those than heat up my oven. I still wanted to make it fun and thought, "let's turn baking into craft with candies!" That's how these cute little turtle cupcakes came to be. We enjoyed eating them while watching the Little Mermaid.
- 1 dozen cupcakes (store bought or homemade)
- 24 gumdrop/spice drop candies
- 12 ring shaped gummy candies (I used lifesaver gummies, but you could use sour apple gummies)
- 12 spearmint leaves gummy candies
- 24 candy eyeballs (optional)
- For each cupcake, place a gummy ring in the center.
- Grab two gum drops in the color of your choice to use for the body and the head.
- Cut one of the gum drops in half horizontally. Take the top rounded dome half and place it on top of the ring gummy. You can pick up a little icing with the tip of a knife to help it stick.
- Place the other gumdrop at the front of the shell to make the turtle's head. If using candy eyeballs, adhere them to the turtle's head using a bit of icing.
- Cut a spearmint leaf in half vertically. Then cut each half in half horizontally to make the front and back flippers. Place on cupcake and voila you have a cute little turtle!