Caramel cake is one of my all time favorite holiday desserts. I remember for during Christmas we would have at least two on the dessert table. My granny would order them from some mysterious lady for $20 a cake. One of my great aunt also makes an amazing caramel cake recipe. So as usual, I decided to make my own recipe. Instead of a cake I decided to make cupcakes! The cupcakes themselves are very light and fluffy. They have just a hint of caramel in them. Between the caramel sauce and buttercream these cupcakes are a caramel dream! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
- 1 ¼ c Unsalted Butter
- 1 ½ c Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1 ½ c Whole Milk
- 2 tablespoons Caramel Sauce
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 T Baking Powder
- 3 c All-Purpose Flour
- Additional caramel sauce for topping - Optional
Caramel Butter Cream
- 3 c Unsalted Butter
- 7 c Powdered Sugar
- 4 T Caramel Sauce
- Using a hand mixer cream the butter and sugar together until it starts to look fluffy and stick to the sides of the bowl.
- Scrape the bowl, and add the eggs and yolks in one at a time. Make sure to scrape the bowl after each egg or yolk is incorporated.
- Sift together the baking powder, salt, and flour. Then add half of it to the batter and mix until combined.
- Combine the milk and caramel sauce in a separate bowl.
- Pour in half of the liquid in your cake batter and mix until combined.
- Scrape the bowl thoroughly.
- Mix in the last half of your flour, and then the rest of the milk.
- Mix until you batter is all combined but be careful not to over mix.
- Line your cupcake pans, and fill each one to a fourth of an inch below the rim of the pan.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool for a few minutes before icing them.
Caramel Butter Cream
- Using your hand mixer cream the butter until its starts to look smooth. It's best if your butter is room temperature.
- Scrape the bowl, and add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time. Wait until the first cup is combined before adding the next.
- Scrape the bowl, and add the caramel sauce. Now let the mixer run for another 2-3 minutes to make sure the buttercream is smooth.
- Now it's time to ice your cupcakes and enjoy! For a little extra you can drizzle caramel sauce over top of your iced cupcakes.
Published October 21st, 2022 3:32 PM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!