Chocolate Crazy Cake
Need to make a last minute dessert when the cupboard is bare and you don’t want to run out to the store? Crazy Cake is the answer! This cake utilizes only basic pantry items that can be found in most kitchens. Get this, it does not require egg, butter, or milk! And it relies on just the chemical reaction between baking soda and vinegar as the leavening agent. See how this amazing cake got the name?
Crazy Cake was born out of the Depression Era when supplies were scarce, and it still has a presence in the culinary world today. It can be made it in the same pan it’s baked in, and the ingredients are entirely hand mixed. What is there not to love?!
The cake might be crazy easy to make as well as unconventional, but it does not sacrifice flavor. It’s chocolaty, tender, and delicious! This is the trick up my sleeves when I have nothing else to fall back on.
This Chocolate Crazy Cake can be served with a simple dusting of powdered sugar, whipped cream, or any frosting of your choosing. A simple buttercream is included in the recipe I am sharing with you. Enjoy!
More information on this cake and additional images can be found at In Good Flavor.
Chocolate Crazy Cake
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used dark cocoa)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold water
- powdered sugar for dusting
Buttercream frosting (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 - 3 teaspoons milk or cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sprinkles for topping cake
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Add all the dry ingredients in an 8” x 8” cake pan. Whisk to combine.
- Make 3 wells, one large, one medium, and one small.
- Add oil to the large, vinegar to the medium, and vanilla to the small.
- Pour water over mixture.
- Whisk to blend, about 50 strokes. Cake batter will be very runny.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few dry crumbs attached.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar, whipped cream, or frosting/glaze of choice.
- The prep time given is for the preparation of the cake only. The optional buttercream will add approximately 7 minutes to make and apply.