Chocolate cake anyone? This chocolate cake recipe is so simple and delicious. I love it because you don’t need a lot of fussy kitchen gadgets to make it. I can whip this cake up on the fly and it’s delicious. It has just the right amount of sweetness with a deliciously chocolatey flavor. The cake also has a really nice crumb. It’s not super crumbly or heavy, but it’s not so light you feel like you’re eating air. I paired this cake with a tasty caramel buttercream. It would also be delicious with a chocolate buttercream as well. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
- 1 c Vegetable Oil 209 g
- 1 c Milk 266 g
- 1 T White Vinegar 10 g
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 T Vanilla Extract 12 g
- 1/2c Sour Cream 125 g
- 1/2 c Brown Sugar 112 g
- 1/2 c Sugar 122 g
- ***Sift all of the dry ingredients before adding them to your mix
- 1-1/2c AP Flour 233 g
- 1 tsp Baking Soda 5 g
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder 3 g
- 1/2 tsp Salt 5g
- 1/2 c Cocoa Powder 55 g
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add your vinegar to your milk, stir it, and then set it aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the sour cream and the eggs together.
- Once that's smooth add in your vegetable oil, vanilla, and milk to the mixture.
- Mix in both sugars.
- Sift the salt, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and all purpose flour on top of your wet ingredients.
- Mix together your wet and dry ingredients being careful not to over mix.
- Line two 6in baking pans with parchment paper and spray them with pan spray.
- Divide you batter evenly into both pans.
- Bake the cakes for 50 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool and ice with your favorite frosting.
- Be sure to mix the eggs in with the sour cream first before adding the rest of the ingredients. If you don't you may have chunks of sour cream in your batter.
- The vinegar will make the milk a tiny bit chunky. Don't worry its supposed to be like that. That's how buttermilk looks before they blend it to sell.
- You can find a step by step video on how to make this cake recipe above.