This everything bagel bread babka is what brunch dreams are made of! This bread is made with my master brioche dough recipe, swirled with cream cheese, and topped with a generous sprinkling of everything bagel seasoning. If you're as obsessed with brioche and everything bagels as much as I am, you are going to LOVE this recipe. As a brioche bread, it has a soft & pillowy interior, but still has that crunch on top and flavors that remind you of an everything bagel. Make this recipe all in one day or part of it the day before so it's ready to be baked first thing in the morning for brunch!
Everything Bagel Babka
3 hr 10 min
Everything Bagel Babka
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry or instant yeast
- 115g whole milk (lukewarm)
- 15g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs (room temp)
- 300g all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 85g unsalted butter (room temp)
- 6 oz whipped cream cheese
- 1 egg white
- everything bagel seasoning for sprinkling
For the Brioche Dough:
- Heat the milk to 110 degrees F and stir in yeast and sugar. If using active dry yeast, allow to sit for 15 minutes. If using instant yeast, simply move on to the next step.
- Mix the eggs into the milk yeast mixture.
- Combine flour and salt together in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix on low-medium speed for about 3 minutes, or until it forms a ball around the hook.
- Add in one piece of butter at a time, allowing it to fully incorporate before adding the next. Once all of the butter is incorporated, turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and mix for 8-10 minutes. To check if the dough is ready, tear off a small piece and carefully spread it out to see if you can see the light through it without it tearing (see photo above). If it tears, mix for another and check again.
- Once the dough is ready, transfer it to a lightly greased bowl, cover, and allow to proof in a warm environment for one hour or until doubled in size. Alternatively, you can proof the dough overnight and bake in the morning.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a rectangle about 10" x 15".
- Spread the cream cheese evenly all over the dough, leaving a border around the edge. Roll the dough up from the short side. To make it easier to cut and shape, place in the freezer for about 20 minutes. (You can skip this if you'd like)
- Cut the ends of the dough off and then cut straight down the middle, leaving you with two exposed pieces. Braid the dough, placing one piece over the other, keeping the layers facing upwards.
- Transfer to a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm environment for about one hour.
- Towards the end of the proof time, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush the babka with an egg white and sprinkle generously with everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published May 20th, 2021 7:58 PM