Pana Sankranti is incomplete without a glass of pana. So on this auspicious occasion I had prepared Dahi (yoghurt) Pana for my family. The scorching, summers of Odisha are especially ideal for consumption of Pana. During summer most of the time we prepare varieties of Pana, thus making it ideal for health. Instead of sugary or any artificial drinks, this homemade Dahi Pana is way far better to keep the body cool.
As per the tradition, people in Odisha recently celebrated ‘Pana Sankranti’ which is also known as Maha Bishuba Sankranti, the traditional New Year Day. People across Odisha, celebrate this auspicious day by preparing a delicious drink called "Pana". The festival is a time for new beginnings, and togetherness, and its vibrant celebrations truly showcase the cultural heritage of Odisha.
The festival marks the beginning of the Odia new year and is observed on the first day of the month of Baisakha. in this festival we prepare varieties of Pana. Most of these, including Dahi Pana, Bela Pana, Chattua Pana, Aamba Pana and Chhena Pana.
Making this healthy Dahi Pana at home is very easy takes just few minutes of time. Do try this and enjoy
- 1 cups chilled fresh curd/ yoghurt
- 1 Banana
- 3 tbsp shredded Coconut
- 1/2 Milk
- Sugar 4 tbsp
- 2 tbsp crumbled Chenna or paneer
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/8 Tsp cardamom powder
- 2 Red Cherry
- Few Ice cubes
- To the blender, add 1 cup fresh chilled yoghurt, banana, shredded Coconut, milk & few ice cubes blend untill smooth.
- Pour the mixture in the bowl then add sugar and mix it until sugar dissolves completely.
- Then add black pepper powder, cardamom powder and churn the mixture till you see a nice frothy layer on top.
- Add few ice cubes & pour the it into tall glasses.
- Garnish Pana with grated coconut, red cherry & crumble paneer.
- You can add water to adjust the consistency as per your preference.
- You can add more sugar or jaggery to make it more sweeter.
- To make it rich and delicious, you can also garnish some chopped dry fruits
- If in case you don't get paneer then skip it.