Today, we’re making a Pineapple Matcha Margarita!
Pineapple Matcha Margarita
This cocktail is the perfect blend of tropical and earthy, which are not necessarily flavor profiles that you’d naturally think to pair together. But, pineapple and matcha is quickly becoming one of my favorite combos, so I say let’s cheers and get into it.
To start, we need some pineapple juice, some freshly squeezed lime juice, your favorite tequila, some matcha powder, and a squeeze of agave syrup. All of these components will go into a cocktail shaker with some ice, and then we’ll shake baby shake. Sometimes you can get away with stirring a cocktail instead of shaking it, but that’s not going to work with this recipe. We need the texture from the ice and the movement from the shaking to help us break down our matcha powder. Otherwise, the matcha will be clumpy; and nobody wants to drink that.
While we’re on the subject of matcha powder, let’s talk about what kind to use. Matcha powder is just ground green tea leaves. You can typically find two grades of matcha powder: culinary grade and ceremonial grade. Culinary grade is perfect for smoothies, baking, or any applications where the matcha is being complimented alongside something else. Culinary grade matcha can be described as slightly more bitter and the color is not quite as bright as ceremonial grade. Ceremonial grade matcha powder is a little more delicate, is great for drinking straight as a beverage (once added to water), and I think the color is a little brighter. Because it’s a little higher quality, ceremonial grade is going to be slightly more expensive. But you get what you pay for when it comes to matcha powder. Splurging a little for a higher quality matcha does make a difference. With all of that being said, you can use either grade for this recipe, and it will be yummy and delicious.
And really, that’s it! This cocktail is super easy to assemble. It’s a matter of adding your ingredients to a shaker, giving it a good shake, and you’re ready to enjoy!
Before we pour our drink into our glass, we’ve got to make sure we add my favorite part of a margarita…the salt! Rim your glass with the leftover lime after you juiced it, and dip your glass in some coarse sea salt. If you prefer a sweeter feel to your margarita, mix equal parts of salt and sugar to rim your glass. Then, pour in that beautiful green beverage. And, it’s time to drink (responsibly, of course).
Like I said, we’re greeted with the perfect balance of tropical bliss thanks to the sweet pineapple and tangy lime juice. Then, the matcha hits us with that earthy green tea goodness to create the perfect harmony. This cocktail is light and refreshing without being too sweet. And, that’s just how I like them!
Ok, everyone. I can’t wait to hear what you think of this perfect summertime drink! Don’t forget to tag me on social media when you make it!
Enjoy, and let’s drink!
Pineapple Matcha Margarita
- 6 oz pineapple juice
- 4 oz tequila (I used gold)
- 2 oz lime juice
- ¾ tsp matcha powder (culinary grade)
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- coarse sea salt, for rimming glass
- ice, for shaking and serving
- To a cocktail shaker, add pineapple juice, tequila, lime juice, matcha powder, and agave. Add ice to the shaker. Shake vigorously to combine.
- Run a wedge of lime around the rim of your glasses. Sprinkle sea salt onto a small plate, and dip the rim in the salt to coat. Add ice to glasses. Pour the margarita mix in to the glasses, dividing evenly. Enjoy!
- *This is not the kind of cocktail that we can get away with just stirring. We need to shake the cocktail with ice in order to break down the matcha powder.
- *You could also use silver tequila for this cocktail. I just happened to have gold on hand.
- *Please drink responsibly!