The Easiest Simple Shrimp Tacos
Not to be dramatic, but quarantine has changed me. I know it’s changed all of us, in ways. But for me, one particular characteristic change pops off the page. I’ve turned into someone who is OBSESSED with tacos.
I don’t remember appreciating tacos pre-covid. But, these days, I feel like I’m constantly craving them. Whether I’m whipping ‘em up at home, or ordering them when I eat out. If there’s tacos on the menu, specifically fish or shrimp tacos, there’s a 50% chance that’s what I’m ordering.
So, it’s no surprise I found myself craving shrimp tacos one night a few weeks back. Luckily for me, I had Cauliflower Tortillas and pre-cooked shrimp sitting in the freezer. I also had some leftover cilantro avocado sauce in the fridge, which happened to be the perfect addition and cooling contrast to my sriracha mayo topping.
I like tacos with a little bit of crunch. But, because, I don’t usually keep slaw or shredded cabbage on hand, I usually find myself needing to get creative. That’s how I ended up with the addition of thinly sliced broccoli stalks. The idea came to me after trying Trader Joe’s Broccoli Slaw, which is surprisingly delicious! I don’t usually buy it because I find that packages of slaw in any form are usually way too large to be fully utilized before spoiling. But, I was inspired by the broccoli slaw to make my own, so, I used the leftover stalk from a head of broccoli that I’d normally toss.
I had the sauce and ‘slaw’ prepped in advance, so this was the easiest taco Tuesday recipe to throw together after a long work day.
- If broccoli isn’t something you typically have on hand, or if making your own slaw sounds like too much work, pick up the broccoli slaw from Trader Joe’s or wherever you do your grocery shopping!
- I used CAULIPOWER Cauliflower Tortillas because that’s what I had on hand. They tasted delicious with the tacos, but I’m sure these would be tasty on corn tortillas as well. My favorite kind is Guerreros, which are available at every major grocery store aside from Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods.
- I recommend making the cilantro avocado sauce in advance. It’s a great sauce but also tasty with a salmon salad. The ‘recipe’ really just requires throwing a bunch of things in a blender, so don’t be discouraged by the fact that this recipe calls for making your own sauce!
If you give these super simple shrimp tacos a try, let me know what you think in the comments below!
The Easiest Simple Shrimp Tacos
- 3/4 cup shrimp cooked and deveined
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup cilantro avocado sauce
- 1/4 avocado thinly sliced
- 3 tortillas
- 1/3 cup broccoli 'slaw'
- 2-3 tbsp mayonnaise
- lime for garnish
- cilantro for garnish
Cilantro Avocado Sauce
- 1 cup cilantro (stems included) packed
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 limes juiced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- First, make cilantro avocado sauce by combining all ingredients in a blender or food processor and mixing until smooth. Then, set aside.
- Next, mix lime juice and honey until well combined. Pour over shrimp in a small bowl, and let shrimp marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Cut broccoli stalk off head of broccoli. Then, cut in half, and slice into thin strips to create broccoli ‘slaw’.
- Mix sriracha and mayo in a small bowl until well combined. Add more sriracha as needed to achieve desired flavor. Then, set aside.
- Cut avocado into thin slices.
- Once shrimp has soaked in the honey lime flavor, heat tortillas over grill or in a skillet until warm.
- Then, spread a layer of cilantro avocado sauce across the center of each tortilla. Layer on chopped broccoli stalks, avocado, and shrimp. Drizzle with sriracha aioli.
- Serve tacos with fresh lime wedges and chopped cilantro if desired. Enjoy immediately!