Easy homemade bite-sized dumplings with pork fillings. These beautiful pink dumplings with unique folding methods are fun, elegant and pack with flavours. Try and play around with this creative dumplings recipe on the upcoming weekend!
Chinese Beet Dumplings
This beautiful dumplings is a total show stopper. They are cute and attractive, taste wonderfully juicy and delicious. Almost too good to eat but difficult enough to not to grab one and taste it as soon as they presented on the dining table!
This Chinese beet dumplings recipe are 100% homemade. When I said 100% I mean the dumpling filling and wrapper are both homemade! In fact, this is a very simple recipe to enjoy and make at home. Once you have the basic down, you can easily play around with the dumpling’s shape and make the filling of your choice.
This recipe take a little of your time but believe me they are worth it especially if you can’t find the dumpling wrappers close by. They are great to make ahead and stock up in the freezer. Homemade frozen dumplings can last for a couple of months.
So, let’s get started and see what we need to make this delicious homemade Chinese beet dumplings.
Check out my HOMEMADE SPINACH NOODLES RECIPE if you like this dumpling recipe!
Chinese Beet Dumplings
- – 3 cups all purpose flour
- – 1/2 tsp salt
- – 1 tbsp beetroot powder (optional)
- – 1 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- – 250g pork mince
- – 2 cups finely chopped spinach
- – 2 eggs
- – 1 corn cob, about 3/4 cup corns
- – 2 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- Extra veg oil + 3/4 cup water to cook dumplings
- – 1 tbsp soy sauce
- – 1 tbsp sesame oil
- – 1/2 tsp white pepper
- – 1 tsp corn flour
- To make the dough
- – In a large mixing bowl, add flour, salt and beetroot powder. Make a well in the center and gradually add lukewarm water. Use a chopstick to stir clockwise until mixture starting to incorporate and get together. Use your hand to knead until it form into a smooth dough ball, about 10 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and let’s rest for 20 minutes.
- To make dumpling filling:
- – Marinade pork mince with marinade sauce and set aside.
- – Prepare and cut the vegetables.
- – Whisk eggs in a small bowl. Heat up a tbsp of vegetable oil in the pan, pan-fried eggs and cook for 1 minute each side until eggs are cooked. Transfer to a plate and finely chopped the fried eggs once they are cooler.
- – Add 1 tbsp of oil in the same pan, pan fry marinated pork mince for 1-2 minutes until meat is no longer pink. Add spinach and corn, cook for 1 minute, stir constantly. As soon as the spinach starting to wilt, turn off heat, drain off excess liquid and place the meat and vegetables mixture in a large bowl.
- – Add egg pieces into the mixture, stir to combine. Let it cool down slightly and move on to work with the dough for the meantime.
- To make dumpling wrappers
- – Place dough on your working surface, divide the dough into 4 equal portions and roll it out into a long rope. Use a cutter to cut the dough into 10 small portions. Work on 1-2 ropes at a time and cover the remaining with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out.
- – Roll each dough into a ball, repeat the remaining ropes until you get 40 dough balls. Make sure they are cover under the plastic wrap at all times.
- – Lightly flour your work station, take one dough ball and place it at the center of your work surface, press it down to a disc using your palm. Use the roller to help with flatten and widen the disc. Place the disc on the flour surface to prevent it from sticking. Repeat with the remaining dough balls until you get 40 wrappers. Dusk extra flour in between wrappers to stop them from sticking together.
- – Pattern 1: Place half a spoonful of filling at the center of the wrapper, fold it in half and press them together at the top. Use you right hand to make 3 folds on the right. Release your left hand holding the center top and fold another 3 folds on the left. Pinch and seal each folds tightly.
- – This pattern required extra steps to create multiple holes on the dumpling wrapper for a lotus look-alike shape. Repeat as per pattern 1 by placing half a spoonful of filling at the center of the wrapper, fold it in half and press them together at the top. This time make 4 folds on each side for a total of 8 folds. Pinch and seal each fold tightly. Then hold 2 folds together and pinch the edge leaving a small gap open at the center. Repeat 3 times to pinch the remaining 6 folds. You will get 4 holes out of the 8 folds.
- To cook the dumplings:
- – Heat up 2 tbsp of oil in a pan, pan fry dumplings flat side down (I make about 20 dumplings) for about 2 minutes until bottom is crisp. Add a thin layer about 3/4 cup of hot water and cover the lid straightaway. Steam the dumplings for about 5 minutes until water is evaporated and dumplings can lift off easily from the pan.
- – Transfer to a serving plate, serve with chilli oil and black vinegar or sauce of your choice. Enjoy while it warm!
- For steps by steps photos instructions, please visit dreamtocook.com