Tortilla Skillet Pizza
I am always trying to keep my carb intake low, but I'm a huge carbaholic. I also adore pizza, in fact, you can put any topping except anchovies on a pizza and I love it. That being said, for me, pizza is a heavy meal that I regret the next day. Between the salty cheese, dough, and overeating because it's so good, I'm always sorry I indulged. I discovered a way to get my pizza fix, but lower my carb intake by building a skillet pizza using a tortilla. I personally prefer a crispy thin crust pizza anyway, so this idea works well. I loved the flavour combination especially the fennel seed with the sausage, arugula, goat cheese and honey with hot pepper flakes. Lots of flavours, but it truly works.
- 1 serving
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 45 Minutes|Total time: 55 Minutes
- Sauté the onions in the butter and oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 25 - 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook the crumbled sausage in a skillet, until cooked through. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, add oil to a large cast-iron skillet. Add a tortilla to the pan in order to crisp the bottom of the tortilla before it goes into the oven.
- Build a pizza right in the pan, starting with the sauce, add garlic, fennel seeds, add onions, sliced tomato, mozzarella cheese, top with sausage.
- Transfer the skillet to the broiler on the middle rack, and cook until the cheese is golden brown and melted 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from oven and top with goat cheese, honey, red pepper flakes, and arugula. Serve and enjoy.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go