Lavender Sourdough Discard Scones are easy to make and delicious! The subtle floral flavor and lemon glaze make them perfect for a party or an everyday treat! You can also make these Lavender Scones without sourdough and they are just as delicious! Make this easy Lavender Sourdough Discard Scone Recipe in 45 minutes from start to finish. These Lavender Sourdough Scones are not super sweet because of the sourdough and the lavender is the highlight of the pastry. If you like sweet scones, add 2 tbsp more sugar and cut the lavender down to 1 tbsp, or add some white chocolate chips!
Lavender Sourdough Scones
Lavender sourdough scone with dried lavender buds on top.
lavender scone on a plate ready to eat!
lavender scones with lemon glaze
Lavender Sourdough Scones
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp dried culinary lavender buds (extra for topping)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, COLD
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream (plus more for brushing on top)
- 1 tbsp raw sugar/Demerara sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup confectioner powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest (if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and prepare your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. In a mixing bowl place the flour, sugar, lavender, baking powder, and salt and stir to combine. Grate your butter and add it to the flour mixture.
- Use your pastry cutter to create a crumbly mixture, just enough to combine everything but don't overmix or your scones will be dense.
- In another mixing bowl, add the sourdough discard and heavy cream and stir together. Add the discard mixture to flour mixture, and stir just until the dough comes together.
- Pour the dough onto a lightly floured surface (not too much flour or your scones will be dry), and knead a few times until everything comes together into a ball. The dough will be just slightly sticky. Gently pat the dough into a circle about 8" diameter (about 1" thick).
- Cut the circle into 8 wedges. Place the scones on your prepared baking sheet. Brush the top of the scones with heavy cream, and sprinkle with coarse sugar and more lavender buds if desired.
- Place the scones into the oven and bake for 16-20 minutes until tops and edges are just starting to brown. Allow the scones to cool on the pan for a few minutes after baking.
- While the scones are baking or cooling, make the lemon glaze by combining the lemon juice, powdered sugar, and zest in a small bowl. Whisk together and drizzle on top of the warm scones. You can always add more juice or powdered sugar for your desired sweetness and consistency.
- WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE A SOURDOUGH DISCARD?
- Don’t worry, you can still make these delicious Lavender Scones without a Sourdough Discard! Just add another 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour and another 1/2 cup of heavy cream in place of the 1 cup of sourdough starter. That’s it!
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!