Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
Lemon poppy seed pancakes are here to give their muffin counterparts a run for their money. After eating (practically) a whole stack after recipe testing, I couldn't wait to share these delightfully light and fluffy pancakes that are healthier and accessible to those on a vegan or dairy-free diet!
What makes these special:
- Tahini (sesame seed paste/butter) replaces melted butter and offers a rich creaminess to the pancakes. We need a little fat to make these decadent, right? Let nutrient-dense tahini take on that task and create a wonderful flavor AND texture.
- Whipped aquafaba is the egg substitute, providing structure. SO GOOD.
- We get a little extra "fluffiness" from two types of leavening - double acting baking powder AND the reaction from lemon juice (acid) with baking soda.
- Lemon juice and zest offer all the lemon flavor you could want, enhanced by Truvia sweetener, a little extra vanilla extract, and delicate nutty notes from poppy seeds.
Customize the recipe to suit your tastes, if you like! For those not following a special diet, you can use:
- Melted butter in place of tahini
- 2 whole eggs to replace the aquafaba
- Granulated sugar in place of Truvia
- Regular milk instead of plant-based milk
Grab some more tips and nutrition information for the best vegan lemon poppy seed pancakes at: https://hearthhealthhappiness.com/vegan-lemon-poppy-seed-pancakes/.
As always, cheers to your hearth, health, and happiness!
Whenever you zest fruit, it’s best to use organic. And, with lemons, be sure to wash them well before zesting.
- 4 people
- Prep time: 5 Minutes|Cook time: 15 Minutes|Total time: 20 Minutes
- Whisk or sift dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Truvia) into a small bowl.
- In a larger (medium) bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (milk, lemon juice and zest, tahini, and vanilla extract) until evenly incorporated.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet, until combined and no large lumps remain.
- Using either a hand mixer or stand mixer, whisk aquafaba on medium speed for 1-2 minutes, or until evenly frothy. There is no need to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the whipped aquafaba and poppy seeds until evenly combined.
- Scoop the batter onto the griddle or skillet that has warmed over medium heat. Flip the pancakes once they start to bubble in the center and the sides look a little sturdier than the center batter. This recipe creates 8 5-inch pancakes.
- Enjoy with pure maple syrup, or the topping of your choice!
- Acceptable Substitutions:
- • Melted butter in place of tahini
- • 2 whole eggs to replace the aquafaba
- • Granulated sugar in place of Truvia
- • Regular milk instead of plant-based milk
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go