This is a classic meal with a twist. My beef meatloaf is stuffed with mushrooms and spinach and is prepared in a red wine and Dijon sauce. I used lots of fresh herbs and garlic. It was truly delicious. The recipe below is also Passover friendly if you substitute Matzoh meal for the breadcrumbs. You can use any kind of mushrooms, but I used sliced cremini mushrooms. One bonus that was really yummy was that the crust on the outside of the loaf got crispy so that the best part of the meatloaf is the end pieces. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as our family did eating it.
Mushroom Stuffed Meatloaf
1 hr 40 min
- 4 servings
- Prep time: 10 Minutes Cook time: 90 Minutes Total time: 1 hr 40 min
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms finely chopped divided
- 1 tbsp fresh or dried thyme leaves only
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (or matzoh meal)
- 1 tbsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan saute mushrooms over medium heat with salt, pepper, garlic, red wine, and fresh thyme until most liquid from mushrooms is evaporated. Divide into two bowls and set aside.
- Add oil to the hot pan, spinach, and splash of water on medium heat sauté until spinach has wilted. Remove from stovetop and add to one of the bowls of mushrooms and mix thoroughly.
- Meanwhile combine the ground beef, egg, Worcestershire sauce, breadcrumbs, thyme, salt, pepper. Mix well.
- Using a non-stick loaf pan line it with parchment overhang the sides. Line the bottom and the sides of it with ⅔ of the meatloaf mixture to create a tunnel in the middle. Fill the tunnel with the mushroom and spinach mixture and cover the top with the remaining meat. Make sure to seal the seams. Bake at 180C/350F for 50 minutes and out of the oven to add the remaining mushrooms to the top. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 70C/160F. Take it out, remove it from the pan, slice it, and serve.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!