Dates, peanut butter and syrup
5-ingredient Salted Peanut Butter Granola Bars
Had I known, all this time, that homemade granola bars were so easy to make and satisfying to have on hand, I could have saved so much money on overpriced and over processed store bought bars! These bars consist of only five ingredients and they are so simple to whip up. They're full of plant-based protein, and great for a morning snack with coffee, or a sweet bite after a meal later in the day. Not to mention the fact that there are about 1 million potential variations on this recipe. You could use almond, cashew or sunflower butter, and add other goodies like seeds, coconut flakes and dried fruits or berries. This here is a basic template around which you can improvise!
- 8 Bars
- Prep time: 15 Minutes|Cook time: 1 Hours|Total time: 1 Hours 15 Minutes
- Drain and rinse the dates and add them to a food processor along with the peanut butter and syrup. Mix until fully combined and smooth - as in picture above!
- Transfer mixture to a medium saucepan over low heat. Let it become gooey - stirring occasionally - 7-8 minutes
- Remove the saucepan from heat, and gradually add the oats and peanuts, stirring until fully combined.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8x8 parchment lined baking dish. Press mixture evenly into the pan - including the corners!
- Refrigerate for at least one hour to set. Cut into bars and top with melted chocolate and extra chopped peanuts. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator or freezer.
- If you decide to top with melted chocolate, just break it up and microwave in 10-15 second intervals, stirring in between each time.
- Sometimes I like to add a little coconut oil to the chocolate before I start to melt it - adds a really silky consistency and lots of shine to the chocolate topping.