Saffron muffins are well worth every expensive bite. The saffron's flavor comes through in every bite and fills the air with a sweet, soft aroma.
Eggless Rajbhog Muffins( Kesar Infused Eggless Muffins)
Saffron(Kesar) is a widely used spice in Indian cuisine for both sweet and savory dishes, It has a distinct flavor and releases a beautiful golden color. This rajbhog muffins are super light and fluffy and full of rich flavors from the Saffron(Kesar), cardamom and dry fruits.
Saffron is the most amazing and expensive spice ! Here is why?
Saffron comes from a flower name saffron crocus (Crocus sativus). Each flower produces only three threads (stigmas) of saffron, and it blooms for only one week each year. The saffron must be harvested by hand! It takes about 1,000 flowers to produce just one ounce of saffron.
Here I used almonds and raisins to mix-in the batter. You can use nuts/dried fruits of your choice. If you skip raisins add 1 tbsp of additional sugar to balance out the sweetness. The muffins I made are not too sweet because raisins also add some sweetness to them.
Here is a video tutorial of the recipe. Please feel free to ask any questions or share your feedback in the comments below.
- 6 Muffins
- Prep time: 15 Minutes|Cook time: 15 Minutes|Total time: 30 Minutes
- First thing to do is to preheat the oven at @375 F or @190 C .
- Then we have to prepare saffron infused milk. For that warm up 1 tbsp milk in microwave for 5-7 seconds.
- Add 1tsp saffron strands to it. Keep remaining saffron strands for topping.
- Mix the saffron well with the milk and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Then we have to prepare the buttermilk for that heat up the 1/4 cup milk in microwave for 15-20 seconds or until warm.
- To 1/4 cup warm milk add the lemon juice and Mix it well. When tiny curdles appear our buttermilk is ready.
For the muffins
- In a large bowl add 2tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature.
- Add 3 tbsp flavorless oil to it . I used Canola Oil.
- Then add 6 tbsp sugar to it. Whisk everything well until all the sugar melts.
- Then add yogurt,Buttermilk and saffron infused milk to it and whisk everything well.
- Now place a sieve and add dry ingredients to wet. And using a spatula fold mix everything well.
- Whisk the batter until you get lump free batter. Do not over mix.
- Add 3 tbsp mixed nuts/dried fruits to it. I used sliced almonds and golden raisins.
- Add 1 tsp Cardamom/Elaichi powder to it and mix well.
- Then line the muffin pan with cupcake liner or grease with cooking spray.
- Spoon the batter evenly into each cup(Around 3/4 th ) and top with some cardamon powder and saffron strands.
- Bake into preheated oven @375 F or @190 C for 15-17 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool down in muffin pan for 10 minutes then place them on wire rack to cool down completely.