This meal was taught at a family Italian cook-along where my kids showed how to make it live on a zoom cooking class.
Potato & Courgette Rice Bake
This is another childhood staple, a recipe which my mum used to make all the time when I was small. A delicious meal which is flavourful even though it’s made with basic ingredients. It’s moist inside with a super crunchy crust. It’s vegetarian and vegan friendly too.
So moist inside and crunchy outside!
A view of all the ingredients which go in this yummy one pot meal.
It’s made with simple ingredients yet so delicious! A family favourite!
- 6 Portions
- Prep time: 20 Minutes|Cook time: 45 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 5 Minutes
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees and start peeling the potatoes and cut in very thin slices.
- Cut the courgettes too, chop the mushrooms, tomatoes and parsley.
- Take your tray and start layering your ingredients.
- First put some oil at the base of you oven tray then start covering the bottom with slices of potatoes one next to each other.
- Scatter 1/3 of rice on top of the potatoes, some chopped mushrooms, a few chopped tomatoes, salt, parmesan, parsley, the courgettes one slice next to each other, extra virgin olive oil, salt, oil and any extra topping you may have chosen like chorizo or feta.
- Make another layer of potatoes and repeat all ingredients on top. You should have 3 layers all the same.
- Then finish with a last layer of potatoes and cover it with parmesan, chopped tomatoes, breadcrumbs & some oil.
- Fill the sides of your tray with water so to reach nearly the top.
- The water should just reach the last top layer of rice but not the last potato layer.
- This will become extra crunchy while the inside layers will remain moisty.
- Cook at 180 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the top potato layer is golden and crispy and the water is well absorbed.
- Buon appetito!😋