Lemon Meringue Pie
With a balance of dense, sweet, tartness, and fluffy, mellow, delicateness, the lemon meringue pie is a wonderful pairing, and not to mention the lovely, buttery crust.
There are quite a few steps to this recipe given that it has three components, but they're all straightforward and very doable.
The amount of meringue you want to put is up to you, I've gone with a bit less because I enjoy the tartness of the pie, but really, go ahead and pile on the meringue if you find that more to your liking.
They'll be fine for around 3-4 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
For more recipe ideas please visit my IG: olivia_homecook
- 1 Pie
- Prep time: 45 Minutes|Cook time: 30 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 15 Minutes
For the pie dough
For the lemon curd (filling)
For the pie dough
- Cut the butter into cubes. Rub together butter, sugar, flour and salt in a bowl into a crumbly dough.
- Add the egg and knead quickly to form a dough. Add the cold water if necessary. Wrap the dough with cling film and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 225°C
- Take the dough out of the fridge and remove the clingwrap. Roll out the dough until it is large enough to cover a 23cm/9inch diameter pie form. Place the dough in the pie form and bake for 15-18 minutes until golden in colour. Remove from the oven and let cool before adding the filling.
For the lemon curd filling
- In a small bowl mix the gelatin and water, set aside
- Mix lemon juice and zest, sugar, egg yolks and eggs in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium heat, stirring until thickened, this takes around 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the gelatin and then the butter, a little at a time and mix it. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Put the lemon curd into a bowl, cover with cling film and let set in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Pour filling into the baked pie shell.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C
- In a metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Pipe the meringue out using a piping bag and a tip of your choice, piping the entirety of the pie surface.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Cool and let the pie set in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.