This Spanish tortilla recipe is so simple even beginners in the kitchen can give it a try and impress their guests. A perfect vegetarian option to be served alongside other tapas dishes or even as a summery lunch option with a fresh side salad. What's more, it can be cut up into slices to serve the whole family or your party guests quickly and easily!
This dish is perfect served alongside other tapas dishes or simply as a lunch with a side salad.
It can be easily cut into slices and refrigerated for a quick grab and go lunch or snack.
It is crucial that the onions do not brown or burn, you want to poach them in the oil.
Then when you add your egg and potato mixture, pay close attention to the sides of the pan and be ready to flip as soon as one side has cooked.
- 8 Servings
- Prep time: 10 Minutes Cook time: 45 Minutes Total time: 55 min
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 onion - peeled, halved & thinly sliced
- 500g potatoes, peeled & sliced into 5mm thick rounds.
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Start by filling a frying pan with 3cm of oil and heating gently.
- Add the onions and allow them to cook over a low simmer for 10 minutes until softened.
- Add the sliced potatoes and 3 good pinches of salt and allow them to stew in the oil for 20 minutes. Be careful not to let them brown by stirring every once in a while.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the onion and potatoes in a sieve, reserving the oil in a bowl.
- Mix the drained onion and potatoes with the egg mixture and stir well.
- Heat a small frying pan, about 20cm wide (the smaller the pan, the thicker your tortilla) until hot then add 2 tbsps of the reserved oil.
- Tip the egg, potato and onion mixture in the pan and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until the bottom and sides are set.
- Place a large plate over the top of the pan, then flip the pan to invert the tortilla onto the plate.
- Place the tortilla back into the pan, with the uncooked side facing down and cook again for a further 3 minutes or until both sides are set and golden.
- Be generous with the salt in this recipe for maximum flavour!
- If your frying pan is heavy, you may want to ask someone to hold the plate and help you when you invert the tortilla!