A perfectly balanced dish when served alongside equal amounts of pasta and salad.
This Venison ragu is a great way to swap out the usual beef mince for something a bit different. I love the gamey flavours of venison and it is also a leaner and healthier meat.
The gamey meat is complimented by warming mixed spice, red wine and beef stock and fresh herbs. It is cooked slowly to really soak up the flavours and produce a rich ragu and the shavings of dark chocolate really help to balance the gamey flavour of the venison.
This dish is great for those that want a rich, indulgent meal that tastes a bit naughty but is actually healthy, lean and isn't heavy on calories! It's great served with pasta, such as spaghetti, tagliatelle or parpadelle and a side salad.
Slow cooked and delicious, this ragu is packed with flavour and tastes luxurious without the unnecessary calories.
A sprinkle of dark chocolate perfectly balances the gamey flavour of the venison and adds another little touch if luxury to this dish.
- 4 Servings
- Prep time: 15 Minutes|Cook time: 80 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 35 Minutes
- Heat a large, heavy based saucepan until hot and spray with fry light.
- Add the bacon and venison mince and stir fry until cooked, for about 5 mins. Then remove and set aside.
- Add the carrots, celery and garlic and stir fry for 5 mins over a medium/low heat until slightly softened.
- Return the meat to the pan and add the mixed spice, thyme and rosemary. Cook for 1 min.
- Add the red wine stock. Continue to simmer until the stock has reduced by half.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 2 mins.
- Add the beef stock, then bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, or until the stock has reduced and the ragu has thickened.
- Grate a sprinkle of the dark chocolate on top the ragu and serve with pasta and salad.
- If you don't have the fresh herbs, try adding a tsp each of the dried version.