Maple Apple Pie
My maple apple pie is a great winter treat. It's perfect for a cold winters day. I created this recepie on a snowy day, when all I wanted was a delicous, hot dessert. The thick flavours of cinamon, maple, lemon and vanilla work so well together, and remind me of all the best musky scents of winter. Try and get creative with decortating your pie however you choose. Make sure you serve the pie warm, as this allows for all the elements to combine better, but you can refrigerate the pie for up to 5 days covered with cling wrap and heat up again for serving.
- 7 Serves
- Prep time: 30 Minutes|Cook time: 55 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 25 Minutes
- Peel, core and slice apples to around 2cm/0.7 inches thick (see photo for reference).
- In a medium pot, mix lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt, maple syrup and water on medium heat with a silicone spatula.
- Once hot and mixed well, add in the sliced apples and keep stirring. Let it sit for around 5 minutes or until it starts to thicken and bubble and remove from heat.
- While the filling cools preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F and spray a 23 cm/ 9 inch pie dish with oil.
- While the filling cools and the oven preheats, roll out pie dough and seperate approximately 1/4 of it. With the 3/4 part of your pie dough, use a rolling pin to spread it out flat enough to cover your whole baking dish. Lay the dough over your pie dish and push down to cover the bottom and sides, cut off the extra from above the sides and combine that with the initial 1/4.
- Pour the filling over the uncooked pie crust in your pie dish.
- With the 1/4 you can create any design you want for the top. I rolled it out, cut it into strips and placed them on top with small gaps in between, then I used a cookie cutter to create a small butterfly for the centre but you can get creative with your own designs!
- Use a basting brush to baste the top pastry with egg and place dish in the oven.
- Bake for 45 minuets or until pasty is browned and liquid is bubbling. Turn the oven off but leave the pie inside for another 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly for 10 minutes, dust with icing sugar and serve warm.