Air Fryer Cheese Sticks
Air Fryer Cheese Sticks are a dream come true! These mozzarella bites are crispy on the outside, with perfectly melted gooey cheese on the inside, and they pack an extra flavor punch from the pepperoni.
Learn how to make these mozzarella sticks without losing any cheese during the cooking process and NO need to freeze either!
THE SECRET TO KEEPING THE CHEESE INSIDE
Wait for it…. wonton wrappers! Yes, yes, yes! It works every time!
A lot of mozzarella cheese stick recipes recommend you double coat the cheese with bread crumbs or freeze the cheese stick for hours before cooking. Totally not necessary with my recipe for Air Fryer Cheese Sticks.
Start with a wonton wrapper, top it with two pepperoni pieces, a stick of mozzarella cheese, wrap it all up tight and coat it in seasoned bread crumbs. It’s that easy and there is NO freezing necessary! (Pepperoni is optional, and WAY worth adding.)
- 6 servings
- Prep time: 15 Minutes|Cook time: 5 Minutes|Total time: 20 Minutes
- Remove mozzarella cheese sticks from the wrapper and cut each into three equal pieces.
- Add 1/2 c Panko bread crumbs, 1/4 c seasoned bread crumbs, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, and 1/2 tsp garlic powder in a shallow bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Beat 1 egg and 1 tbsp water in a small bowl.
- Lay out 6 wonton wrappers on a clean surface. Top each with two pieces of pepperoni and one stick of mozzarella cheese.
- Brush the edges of each wonton with the egg mixture.
- Take on corner of the wonton and wrap around the cheese. Fold each side up onto the top of the first corner and continue to roll until the wonton wrapper is sealed.
- Working with one cheese stick at a time, dip into the egg mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture. Press bread crumbs firmly onto each wonton making certain all areas are covered. Place on a plate.
- Continue the process until all 18 are rolled and coated.
- Spray the basket of the air fryer with cooking spray. This will insure that they don't stick to the air fryer.
- Working in batches add 6-9 sticks to the air fryer so that they are not touching. Spray each stick with cooking spray.
- Set the air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes, until crispy and brown. Turn the sticks half way through cooking process.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauces.
- Pepperoni is optional.
- Marinara or Ranch is great for dipping.
- They will hold in a 200 degree oven as you make sticks in batches.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go