Roasted Stuffed Squash
I’m a HUGE fan of oven based dishes. Especially on busy weeknights where you can quickly prep the ingredients and bung everything in the oven so you can get on with a load of laundry, or better yet, some time on the yoga mat!
Butternut squash (or known as ‘butternut pumpkin’ in Australia and New Zealand) is packed with nutrients. Rich in vitamins, minerals and fibres, this beautiful orange veg has a sweet nutty flavour, and when roasted, is truly delicious.
To balance the sweet, caramelized flavour I team it up with a fiery, spicy protein-packed chickpea traybake - which perfectly fills the roasted butternut squash ‘bowl’.
- 2 Serves
- Prep time: 5 Minutes|Cook time: 60 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 5 Minutes
- Preheat the oven at 220°C/200°C fan.
- Prepare your butternut squash by slicing lengthways and removing the seeds (save the seeds to roast as a snack!). Place the butternut squash on a roasting tray (flesh side up) and drizzle thoroughly with olive oil. Roast for at least 45-60 minutes until golden and soft.
- Dice the brown onion and tomato, and add to a small baking dish, along with the drained chickpeas, smoked paprika, dried chilli flakes, cumin seeds and crushed garlic cloves. Add a good glug of olive oil and season with salt & pepper, then give it a good thorough mix.
- When the butternut squash has been roasting for at least 30 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan and pop the chickpea traybake in the oven for the last 20 or so minutes.
- When roasted, remove from the oven and mix the cooked quinoa/couscous through the chickpea traybake before placing in the ‘bowl’ of the roasted butternut squash.
- Serve with spinach leaves, a sprinkle of mixed seeds and a dollop of cream cheese.
- For those so inclined, add two rashers of diced streaky smoked bacon to the chickpea traybake.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go