How to roast okra on top of the stove
- Prepare the okra by rinsing it in a colander under cool water. Drain and dry the okra well with paper towels.
- Slice off the woody stems, then cut each pod in half lengthwise.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on top of the stove over medium high heat with a little oil or bacon fat in the pan. Do not allow the skillet to start to smoke.
- Place the okra in the pan cut side down and cook for about 3 minutes, until there are a few char marks.
- Flip the okra and cook for another minute, then remove to a plate and season with salt and pepper or drizzle with warm bacon vinaigrette.