Pear & Blueberry Crumble Pie
The struggle is real my friends. What do you do when you crave a fruit pie AND a crisp? Well, you do like I do and make a crumble pie! Today I’m sharing one of my favorite winter desserts. Pear and Blueberry Crumble Pie!
You could make this dessert with any fruit, really. But I’m a huge fan of combining fruits and this combo is so delicious. Nevermind that you can usually find fresh blueberries and pears even in the winter months here in Minnesota!
As for the rest of the pie? Well, like I said, this is a pie AND a crisp so to start with let’s talk about that buttery-flaky crust beneath all that fruit.
- 8 servings
- Prep time: 20 Minutes|Cook time: 55 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 15 Minutes
For the Crust
- Add butter, shortening, and flour to a food processor.
- Pulse until the butter is pea-sized and begins to form a crumble.
- Slowly add in 4 Tablespoons of water and begin pulsing. If dough does not begin to form around the center of the processor add in the additional 1 Tablespoon until it does.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and place on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper.
- Place another piece of parchment paper over the top of the dough, pressing down with the palm of your hand to flatten slightly. Roll dough out to a 12" circle.
- Remove the top piece of parchment paper. Lift up the bottom piece of parchment paper with dough and flip over onto a 9" pie plate or tart pie baking dish. Press gently into place.
- Cut off any excess around the outer edges and crimp remaining.
- Poke the bottom of the crust with a fork and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the Filling
- Combine the pears and blueberries in a medium bowl.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with the flour and stir until combined. Set aside.
For the Crumble Topping
- Combine dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Add in the butter.
- Cut together using a pastry cutter until well combined. Mix in the sliced almonds.
To Make Pie
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove the pie crust from the refrigerator. Pour the filling into the bottom of the pie crust.
- Spread out the fruit so it is evenly distributed. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the fruit filling.
- Bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes or until topping and crust are golden brown and pears are tender. **If crust begins to brown too quickly cover the edges with foil for the last 15-20 minutes or so.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go